Skip to content
Pick or not to Pick...

Notifications
Clear all

Pick or not to Pick...that is my question...

9 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Hi all

Led Zeppelin Over the Hills and Far Away - am I wasting my time trying to play this on acoustic without a pick?

No answer on a postcard - just here will be fine... :D

Rock on!

D 8)

I'm nowhere near Chicago. I've got six string, 8 fingers, two thumbs, it's dark 'cos I'm wearing sunglasses - Hit it!

(@rahul)
Famed Member

I don't know about these songs. But, if these songs contain fingerpicking then obviously you can't get it down using a pick.

Else, I don't see a reason why pick shall not suffice.

ReplyQuote
(@clau20)
Reputable Member

I played it with a pick on my video. The strumming is easier for me with a pick

When I play this song on my acoustic without a pick, no sound comes out when I try to play the 3rd pull-off (4p2p0)

On my electric it works fine

But my nails are short so that may explain the "no sound" thing on my acoustic... The sound doesn't last long enough to hear all the pull-off

But Dylan, you what you have to do. Try both technique and take the one that works fine with you :wink:

" First time I heard the music
I thought it was my own
I could feel it in my heartbeat
I could feel it in my bones
... Blame it on the love of Rock'n'Roll! "

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

I generally use a pick on OTHAFA! For some reason its easier to control...."ON THIS SONG!"
Same with "The Rain Song".

However on my attempts at doing "Stairway" I generally finger pick the first part then switch to a pick after the first 'stanza' if that's what you call it.

Most of the time I use a pick, but if I'm just comp'n chords I often times like to 'finger-brush' the strings. I like the mellow attack with my fingers more than a pick.

I don't think there's a wrong or right way to play it, what ever works better for you.

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@dylanbarrett)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Yup, I suppose a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do, but I don't use a pick - it seems quite unnatural to play with one now, although I know in the long term I'll probably have to learn to use one....

I have messed about with a pick, but not really stuck at it. I just really wanted to know whether it's a necessity to use a pick on a song like this or whether you can....well...take your...pick! :roll:

D 8)

I'm nowhere near Chicago. I've got six string, 8 fingers, two thumbs, it's dark 'cos I'm wearing sunglasses - Hit it!

ReplyQuote
 pab
(@pab)
Estimable Member

when you break a nail it's helpful to be able to play with a pick (assuming that you're not just using fingertips alone). i have broken nails a couple of times and have never learned how to use a pick and, as the previous poster said, stuck with it. not i've broken one again and am trying harder to learn. it does seem unnatural to me though, and it is a little upsetting considering that i can fingerpick pretty well but can't use a pick well at all.

pab

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Yup, I suppose a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do, but I don't use a pick - it seems quite unnatural to play with one now, although I know in the long term I'll probably have to learn to use one....

I really don't like playing with a pick either - but that seems to be because a lot of the songs I play and/or write have fingerpicked verses and strummed choruses. (Think "More Than A Feeling" by Boston and you'll get my drift.)

I always wanted to be able to fingerpick and strum - I found picking, using a plec, too difficult whereas strumming with my finger/nail was a lot easier - so the pick went.

I suppose it's all about working out what's best for you - in my case, I very rarely use a pick unless I'm playing really close to the bridge for something like a Byrds song, or arpeggiated runs.....

I always keep one or two handy though - you never know when that nail's going to break!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

one of the first fingerpicked riffs i learned way back in....well nevermind that anyway, never used a pick.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@stellabloo)
Estimable Member

Dylan! Led Zep! What a combo :wink: you must be feeling pretty happy with your progress!

Duh, I think you've noticed my picklessness by now but just wanted to add that I bought a whole pack of picks when I first got a guitar and I did learn how to pick a mandolin (more or less), can't do a proper tremelo without a pick.
BUT - and this is a big but - I have to be nice to my [overused] tendons and joints these days and altho I have strong fingers, gripping any object in a pincher grip, even a pen, for more than a few minutes really HURTS :evil:
And once I realized that certain fingers were dedicated to certain strings, just like piano [or even typing], fingerpicking made more sense ... I usually don't have to look at my right hand. Now if I could just stop looking at my left hand :roll:

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's really all about?

~ why yes, I am available on youtube ~
http://www.youtube.com/stellabloo

ReplyQuote