Clear all

Pick selection

13 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
tnbk00
(@tnbk00)
Topic starter  

Im really confused about picks.....There are so many types, guages etc I just dont know what to buy.

Any suggestions/Advice would be appreciated :)

Ta

Daniel

Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

Im really confused about picks.....There are so many types, guages etc I just dont know what to buy.

Any suggestions/Advice would be appreciated :)

Ta

Daniel

Your best bet would be to buy a few of each kind (they are cheap enough) and see what you prefer. When I started I used the medium gauge picks. Now I am using the 1mm (which are thicker than the medium which I believe are around .48mm). Try them all and see what you like.

ReplyQuote
Wes Inman
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Yep, I agree with Mike, you just gotta keep trying different ones until you find one you like.

I have been playing almost 34 years now, and I always had trouble with picks. My hands are very dry naturally and I just plain had trouble holding on to them. For years I played without a pick and used my fingernail on my index finger, that's how much trouble they gave me.

Finally I found a pick that works for me, the Dunlop Delrin Standard Pick. Unbelieveably, this pick has a very smooth finish but I can hold onto it for some reason. I like the .71 mm (yeah, I know, the sissy pink one).

Dunlop Delrin Standard Pick

But finally I have found a pick that works for me. :D

Probably a lot more than you wanted to know, but just wanted you to know that you have to try many picks until you find one that works for you. It doesn't matter what anybody else uses.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

Yep, I agree with Mike, you just gotta keep trying different ones until you find one you like.

I have been playing almost 34 years now, and I always had trouble with picks. My hands are very dry naturally and I just plain had trouble holding on to them. For years I played without a pick and used my fingernail on my index finger, that's how much trouble they gave me.

Wes just reminded me you may also want to try some Gorilla Snot (not don't go to your local zoo!! :lol: ). It helps make the pick sticky so it won't slip. I have been using it for about 3-4 months now and I swear by this stuff.

ReplyQuote
tnbk00
(@tnbk00)
Topic starter  

That is indeed the approach I am taking so far....I have smooth ones, and textured ones, I like the smooth ones better, and I seem to like the thicker (1mm) ones better, but I find that some of them produce an almost slapping sound on the strings.

The question (as usual from me :P ) was not really well worded....what i was more looking for is, does the type/style of pick impact or relate to the type of music being played? Ive just purchased a Dava Master Nickel/Silver pick which is sposed to be multi guage based on how its held....we will see how that goes...

Ta

Daniel

ReplyQuote
tnbk00
(@tnbk00)
Topic starter  

Hmmm Gorilla snot.....sounds like....um.....fun.....Cant seem to find anyone selling that in Aus...I might buy some....after payday :)

ReplyQuote
Wes Inman
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Sure, different picks play differently.

These Dunlop 71s I use are not that great for speed picking (but I am not really a speed picker). I have some Dunlop Jazz IIIs I won in a contest here on GN that are much better for speed picking. They are small so you can't help but choke up on the pick and they are also very pointed. However, I don't feel as though I can strum as well with these picks. I think Jazz players for the most part down strum, the Jazz IIIs would be good for that, but I like to alternate up and down strum. I need a little larger pick and do not hold a pick close to the tip.

But that is me. Only you know what type of pick works for you and your style. Buy an assortment if you can find it and just experiment.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
Anonymous
 Anonymous
(@Anonymous)

http://www.gorillasnot.com/

ReplyQuote
greybeard
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

You can go to a sports shop and ask if they have anything to stop your hands slipping (e.g. baseball bat, tennis racquet, etc). It'll be half the price of Gorilla Snot and probably smell nicer.

I wrote a piece, some time ago, about picks. I collected all the replies on GN, to questions on picks, and boiled it down to:
https://www.guitarnoise.com/article.php?id=444

Hope it helps

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
pearlthekat
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

It's educational to go out and spend say $8 and buy a selection of assorted different picks and see what you can do with them and what you like. I did that a few years ago and settled on a couple of flexible picks that I liked. Then I got a new guitar and didn't like the picks I was using. I had a Dunlop Big Stubby hanging around and started using it. I previously had absolutely no use for it --it was my least favorite. Now I like it for the same qualities I didn't like it for to begin with.

ReplyQuote
DemoEtc
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Elderly.com is one of the few places you can buy a single pick at a time instead of dozen packs. I bought a selection of Dunlops in addition to some other small items (to make a good order size), because I wasn't used to the 'mm' rating in comparison to L M H, and was able to try a bunch of different Fender shapes too.

Best regards.

ReplyQuote
thectrain
(@thectrain)
Estimable Member

It all depends on what i'm looking for for the song. Most of the time I use Dunlop Jazz III picks because the are my favourite when there is some complicated picking. If I am doing all strumming on the acoustic I use a pretty light pick because it gives a really nice bright sound and has a little "slap back" sound that I really like. Other then that I use a coin for a really nice electric blues tone(Ala Mr Gibbons), but its hard on the strings so I stick to the Jazz III picks most of the time.

ReplyQuote
bigstu
(@bigstu)
Eminent Member

I was always having terrible problems holding on to my picks no matter how I held them they were always slipping around or falling out. I found these Dava picks recently and they are awesome. They have a flexible middle so depending where you hold them they play like a thin pick or a fat pick and I no longer have trouble holding on to them beacuse of the ridges on them. My playing has also improved heaps (possibly coz the pick is always where it's supposed to be) and I find I'm getting a much better tone.
http://www.davapick.com/

ReplyQuote