Picking

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@goodvichunting)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hi Guys

For tremolos my teacher wants me to use the entire forearm pivoted at the elbow.
However, till now I have just been pivoting my wrist.

I wanted to know whether you guys use the forearm or just the wrist or both.
Also, what are the pros and cons of each type of picking.

Cheers
Vic

Latest addition: Cover of "Don't Panic" by Coldplay
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=502670

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I am a good picker, but I am not a good speed picker by any means.

But to pick really fast, I use the technique your teacher is telling you. I keep the wrist straight and pivot from the elbow.

But if I want to do intricate arpeggio type picking (I am much better at this), I pivot from the wrist.

So learn both.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

i'm the same way 8)

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

Wrist only. That does involve some movement of the forearm bones, but strictly the kind that rotates your wrist, meaning that no matter how much you do it, you won't straighten your elbow. How much sense does it make to start moving your whole forearm when you want to speed up? I'm no speed demon either, but I can tremelo pick pretty fast my way.

pros: You're moving less meat, and you won't mess up your elbow.
cons: None at all. (Aside from taking a little more coordination.)

ReplyQuote
(@martin-6)
Honorable Member

Ah, but the forearm has a better capacity for jiggling up and down very fast, when compared to a wrist-only movement. Less control, but more power. Try it without a guitar or pick. Keeping the wrist stiff clearly offers a greater possibility for fast tremelo picking.

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

I am a good picker, but I am not a good speed picker by any means.

But to pick really fast, I use the technique your teacher is telling you. I keep the wrist straight and pivot from the elbow.

But if I want to do intricate arpeggio type picking (I am much better at this), I pivot from the wrist.

So learn both.

Me too

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

Forearm makes my elbow hurt though. I find that a helpful trick for speeding up my picking without sacrificing my technique is to think of each pluck as an upstroke and a downstroke and perform both as a unit. If I don't do that, I get sloppy and can't pick nearly as fast.

ReplyQuote