Clear all

Picking Consecutive Strings?

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@musus)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I'm trying to play B.B. King's 'The thrill is gone'.

Right now I'm in the phase where I'm completely paraniod about which direction to pick.

How would you guys pick this? I'm particularly worried about the last three notes moving from the 2nd to 4th string. I don't think alternate picking is a very good idea because it's played pretty fast.

Also should I barre the seventh fret?

e---10---7--7-----------------X------------
b----------------10-7-----7---X------------
g---------------------7-9--7---------------
d---------------------------9--------------
a------------------------------------------
e------------------------------------------

Thanks guys. :wink:

"Hey Hey My My ... Rock and Roll can never die" Neil Young

(@maxrumble)
Honorable Member

I almost always start with a down motion and then do whatever is comfortable, it comes naturally over time.
I would probably pick that

D U D D
D u D
D U D
D

I might pick down on the small Up if it was more comfortable.

Cheers,

Max

ReplyQuote
(@bourgeoisbabe)
Trusted Member

You got me musus???? Good question...I am interested to see the rest of the opinions. I would be inclined to assume that you alternate....but I honestly don't know enough. I am always one to need to know the "correct" way even if I chose to alter that...I am not satisfied until I do. Aroid has a question about alternate picking that really is valid to this discussion....it is in this forum and the discussion is titled "Alternate picking". So my question would be......Do you alternate your picking even if you don't play the stroke? Arrg....

Life pushes hard. Push back.

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

I would use alternate picking throughout, but the ending looks like a small sweep followed by muted strings, i would play that with an upstroke sweep and then hit the muted strings. When you play that sweep, i would kind of barre the 7th fret, however if you don't want the strings to ring then you have to release pressure on the string that you don't want to ring out after playing it.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@musus)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thank you for the suggestions.

I've tried both ways. Using downstrokes I can't get it anywhere close to speed.

Using a sweep, I can get it up to speed but it doesn't sound very clear. I'm finding it difficult to mute the strings after playing them as it's the first time I've encountered sweeping, bit I'll keep trying.

If anyone else can add some suggestions I'd be happy to hear them. :wink:

"Hey Hey My My ... Rock and Roll can never die" Neil Young

ReplyQuote