Notifications
Clear all

Picks, picking and strumming.

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@nzstingray)
Topic starter  

I learnt to play guitar when I was in school but haven't played for several years so am trying to relearn my skills.

One of the things I've never been able to do is play well with a pick. For some they give me a lot of trouble despite many attempts. I have a steel string acoustic and want to be playing a bit of everything including rythym and lead. I like the sounds other people can make with picks hence my interest...

The standard way to hold a pick seems to be almost in a closed fist, something like the photo here: http://guitar.about.com/library/weekly/aa071200g.htm . If find this really awkward and feel like I have very little control over the sound I generate. When I am playing the pick seems to naturally migrate until I am almost holding in the tips of my thumb and first two fingers. Short of gluing my fingers together, how can I train myself to keep that thing in place?

I've been experimenting a bit with different weight picks. I have a very thin .46mm pick here which I actually do OK with but it's so think it just seems wrong compared to what I was given to start with (.88mm). Part of my problem is that I don't want to play loud as I'm not the only one in the house (or neighbourhood) and the picks really don't help with that.

Last of all I'm wondering if there is something in my wrist and arm action that is causing me problems. I noticed I don't tend to rotate my wrist much at all which playing, is this something I should be doing? A video showing correct technique would be great.

Thanks for any suggestions you can give.

(@clideguitar)
Reputable Member

As far as holding the pick, make an OK sign with your (right hand) Index finger to thumb - this is where you hold the pick goes. Hold it loosely.

It takes time to get that pick action. Stick with the thin pick for now.

Bob Jessie

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

You just have to keep at it. I was terrible at using a pick for a really long time and developed my fingers and using them, I mean you've got 5 fingers (hopefully) so it's got be easier right?

It took a long time, but I started with a light gauge pick, and worked from there. I still find it hard to hold well, it keeps sliding around, but getting better. So just keep at it, and find a way to hold it that works for you. I don't think that there is one right way to hold the pick. Keep at it! You'll get better and feel more comfortable, I promise!

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Yea it does take a bit of time. I used to get frustrated because I'd drop the pick all the time or else I'd strum and dig into one string to much and it would mess me up...thankfully I was in a room by myself so no one saw me, but eventually you'll get it.

I haven't dropped a pick in a long time now so I never even think about it.

I'd say and it's only a guess it took about a year to really feel comfortable with it.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@daven)
Estimable Member

Maybe try a different style plec or one made of a different material. You'll get it. :D

ReplyQuote
(@nzstingray)
Topic starter  

I just thought I'd check in to thank everyone for the responses and leave a little update. I'm playing much better now and I think the following helped:

Picks
I'm sticking with the lightest pick for now. It's a lot easier to keep in control and I figure I can move up to the heavier picks gradually. It also lets me play quieter.

Posture
I noticed that I tend to be hunched over with the guiter lying very flat as I'm trying to peer at the strings. Learning the fingering, sitting up straight and holding the guitar closer to my body make things much better all round. In particular this means the pick tends to hit all strings evenly rather than catching the high pitched bottom string all the time.

Practice
Practice, practice, practice... arr my fingers!

Thanks guys!

ReplyQuote