Notifications
Clear all

Pickup change?

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@disturbd1)
Topic starter  

Posted this in the Meet and Greet section, but thinking this one might be more appropriate:

I have sort of an "opener" question. Currently, I've got an RG-series, floating-bridge Ibanez. Middle-of-the-road axe from what I can tell, I've had it for about 4 years. My question is in regards to the pickups: is it worth replacing them? Specifically with some EMGs? If that admission wasn't obvious enough - I LOVE a heavier sound. I know I don't have the right axe for that, but I'm also not financially prepared to spend the cash on the Schecter that I want just yet. In the interim, I was thinking perhaps some EMGs would give it better sustain and more aggression. Thoughts?

(@s1120)
Prominent Member

"worth" can only be determined by yourself. I got about 10 hours labor in a neck reset,fretboard level, and refret... All on a guitar that's a old cheapy entry level store brand from the pre 50's... its pretty much junk.. but I enjoy the work, and am learning a ton! Do you like the guitar? Do you enjoy playing it? Are you fixing it to play, or to resell? that's what you need to ask..

OK, so beyond that... Have you replaced pickups before? Im assuming the EMD's are active pickups correct? Does the guitar have active pickups in it now? If it was my first time swapping, Id probably keep with the type I have. If you have active pickups already... sure, give it a shot. Also you don't have to replace all the pickups.. say if you use the bridge one 99% of the time... just replace that, and see how it goes. Also if your looking for a value. To spend a little less, and see how you like it, or to experiment check out guitar fetish http://www.guitarfetish.com/GFS-Guitar-Pickups_c_7.html lots of good pickups, for a lot less cash then the name brands.

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@shredgeek)
Eminent Member

You'll never know if it's worth it until you try!

ReplyQuote