Playing a bending lick??

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@arman)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hi all,

can anyone offer advice on how to play this bending lick efficiently? the book that i'm using is devoid of all detail!

---------------5------
-------------5---5----
----------7b9---------(book says either compare it to the 9th fret e or the 5th fret e on the 2nd string)
-----------------------
-----------------------
-----------------------
right now, i'm using my ring finger to fret and bend the 3rd string, then i bring the string back down and use the inded to play the 2nd string, middle to play the 1st string and the index to play the 2nd string again...

this just doesn't seem right - am i doing this correctly?

thanks in advance!

-arman

AUTOGRAPHED ESP George Lynch Sunburst Tiger

(@evilspudboy)
Trusted Member

Use the index finger for both the second and first string.

Also the alignment on the tab is a little funny, since it looks like the 5 is algined with the 9, but I'm assuming that is just because of the font spacing.

Also when you release the bend take the pressure off the string so it is silenced. You don't want to hear the release.

Now look at them yo-yo's that's the way you do it you play the guitar on the MTV

ReplyQuote
(@arman)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Use the index finger for both the second and first string.

Also when you release the bend take the pressure off the string so it is silenced. You don't want to hear the release.

alright, cool!

so, do i "bar" the 1st and 2nd string with my index? i tried that, but the 2nd string note continues to ring note so it sounds like there is alot of commotion hen i play the 2nd string, 1st string and 2nd string again...

also, do you mean just bring the 3rd string back down gently and gently take the fingers off, when you say take the pressure of the string?

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

It's pretty key here that you know what it's supposed to sound like before you get into it. Tab isn't incredibly precise, it doesn't show any timing and often leaves out important details (as you've noticed).

Your best bet is to see if you can read the tab while listening to the music. The tab is only an interpretation of the music, meant to speed up your learning, it is not a full notation.

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
 sirN
(@sirn)
Reputable Member

so, do i "bar" the 1st and 2nd string with my index? i tried that, but the 2nd string note continues to ring note so it sounds like there is alot of commotion hen i play the 2nd string, 1st string and 2nd string again...

also, do you mean just bring the 3rd string back down gently and gently take the fingers off, when you say take the pressure of the string?

If the song calls for the notes to ring out, then it's obviously ok. One way to stop notes from ringing out is to mute them with the palm of your picking hand. It'll take some practice to get used to, especially to mute one string and not another.

In a lick such as that (a very popular one), many times the bent note is brought back down gently. Again, it'll depend on what you are playing. It's possible, for instance, that this lick could end a song and that bent note remains for infinity. Try all variations of it, because it is used frequently and in many different ways. Try bringing it down gently, then pulling off to the note on the 5th string. Try anything. You'll like it, Mikey did. 8)

check out my website for good recording/playing info

ReplyQuote
(@evilspudboy)
Trusted Member

SirN's explanation is better than mine.

And as he said, you should try the lick with different phrasings, to see how they sound.

Now look at them yo-yo's that's the way you do it you play the guitar on the MTV

ReplyQuote
(@arman)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Cool, thanks for the input guys. I think I'll not worry about playing a lick right now...first I have to get my bending down...;)

ReplyQuote