Clear all

Playing distortion quietly?

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@djanvk)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Anyone have any tips to setting up a amp to quietly play guitar with distortion? I have a Peavey Encore 65 Vintage Tube amp and if I want distortion I need to have the volume up quite high it seems. Now I like it loud but when the wife and kids are sleeping I have to keep it a little quieter.

Thanks

(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

3 options:
1) Get a power attenuator.
2) get a modelling amp that will make the same sound at any volume level.
3) Or a modelling /effect box, like a Pod or V-Amp that you can plug headphones into (that's what I do when everyone is asleep)

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@sixstringmadness)
Eminent Member

I think Ket mentioned some good ones. The other would be to look and see if you have 2 volumes. One may say gain and the other say master volume. If so turn the gain up and the master down. An amp with a headphone jack or an amp modeler is the best way to go though. I use Amplitube 3 with a nice set of studio headphones when I play late at night.

Check out my guitar blog at http://www.sixstringmadness.com

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

look and see if you have 2 volumes. One may say gain and the other say master volume.
It doesn't seem to. According to the manual the "post gain" controls the input to the power amp section, which affects the power tube (6L6) distortion (which is probably the nice distortion that Djanvk wants)

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@sixstringmadness)
Eminent Member

Looking at the link of the manual you provided, turn the post gain down which is your master volume and turn up the pregain. That will give you distortion at lower volumes. With that said, the best sounding distortion works the opposite. You want to saturate the tubes at the later stages of gain as opposed to slamming them upfront only to cut that saturation in the later stages.

Check out my guitar blog at http://www.sixstringmadness.com

ReplyQuote