Clear all

playing for kids

23 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@specialk)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

im fifteen, and ive been invited to play for a group of kids at a local church. I am comfortable in front of people, and with my guitar. The problem is, i dont know what kind of stuff i should play for them. the kids will be 7-12. I dont know if i should even play the gig. I feel as though i shouldint really be playing for kids, im kind of tempted to tell the lady to just hire some clowns, but i am getting paid. What do you guys think? what songs should i play, if i play at all?

Special K

(@margaret)
Noble Member

SpecialK,

Wow! It's great that you're getting a paying gig already! :!:

I'm a mom, and if I know kids ages 7-12, they'll enjoy your performance a lot more than they would a clown. They will look up to you, and most likely be thoroughly impressed, no matter what you play for them.

As long as you keep your music choices "clean" (no foul language or age-inappropriate subject themes), the field is wide open.

Depending on your repertoire, you could perform a few songs, then maybe mix in some audience participation type things, after they've warmed up to you. Maybe something that has hand motions or uses some fun props, and ask for a volunteer or two to come up front and lead the hand motions while you play and everyone sings.

If you (or the church) have any maracas, tambourines, etc, get a volunteer(s) to shake them for a song. Don't be afraid to get a little silly and have some fun.

Maybe take along some cheap Dum-Dum lollipops to reward the volunteers for their efforts. Then everyone will want to volunteer for the next "task". Or give guitar picks to the volunteers if you don't want to promote tooth decay. :lol:

Seeing as the performance is at a church, is the group affiliated with a religion? If so, maybe you could do some simple contemporary praise and worship stuff. The church may have some books of that type of songs you could borrow in advance if you don't have any of your own.

Maybe you want to consider asking an outgoing friend to accompany you to the gig, and have him/her help lead any sing-along songs and get the kids involved by clapping in rhythm, etc. (Don't forget to include your friend in a cut of the take.)

Find out in advance approximately how many kids are expected to be in the group. You may need to make photocopies of lyrics if any sing-along songs are something the kids won't know by heart.

With a little forethought and planning, you could really pull this off in a big way, maybe even start a little side business doing b'day parties and such.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Margaret gives great advice.

For song ideas, check out some of the contemporary praise & worship albums geared to children. The arrangements are not difficult and you can get by with simple strumming.

You might also incorporate tunes like "He's Got The Whole World In His Hands," "Kum Ba Yah," and "This Little Light of Mine." They're not "church" tunes but they fit the bill.

Best of luck, and be sure to post in the "gigs & jams" section to let us know how it goes.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@specialk)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

wow, that was a great reply:D . I have a friend who plays guitar who Im pretty sure would be willing to play with me, so i might contact him. I really appreciated all your ideas. I was also thinking I could do a portion of the gig where I could ask the kids a subject for me to sing about.Thanks for the songs ideas slejhamer. Does anyone else have suggestions for some great songs for me to include the kids in(tambourine, maracas, sing-alongs etc.) ?

Special K

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Get appropriate props and play "If I had a hammer"

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@clazon)
Honorable Member

Kum Ba Yah and Ghostbusters would be my 2 suggestions.

Also, crazy effects will probably entertain.

"Today is what it means to be young..."

(Radiohead, RHCP, Jimi Hendrix - the big 3)

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Here are a few funny silly songs good for participation:

Little Bunny Foo Foo
Dead Skunk in the Middle of the Road (I don't remember this one, except to know it's fun)
Dry Bones
Pharoah, Pharoah (sung to tune of Louie, Louie)
Do Your Ears Hang Low
There's a Hole in the Bottom of the Sea
On Top of Spaghetti (tune of On Top of Old Smoky)
Neverending Song (This is the song that does not end...it just goes on and on my friend....)
My Hat, It Has Three Corners
Found a Peanut
I Knew a Lady Who Swallowed a Fly
Waltzing Matilda
Down By the Bay
John Brown's Baby
Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes
YMCA
any campfire-type songs

Several of the above songs have gimmicks, such as speeding up with each subsequent verse, or progressively dropping out more words and replacing them with motions, etc.

You can likely find lyrics/music to most of the above online. If there's a particular one you need, let me know. I might be able to come up with it among some of my books.

A song sung in a "round" keeps their minds busy, but you need a large-enough group to be able to divide into two or three smaller groups to sing.

A couple on the more serious side to sing when you need to calm the group down a little:

Rainbow Connection
Colors of the Wind (theme from Pocahontas)

There are many Disney songs that kids will be familiar with. Also, more songs from Sesame Street, Barney, etc.

I'd suggest you prepare more songs than you think you'll have time for, and then you can pick and choose on the spot when you get a feel for the group and what they are responding to.

I don't know about you, but I get so nervous in front of any group that my mind goes entirely blank. Therefore, I suggest that you have your song list in writing, and your music/chord sheet available, even for songs you've memorized, just in case. :D

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Dont know how familiar you are with Christian music but "The Cartoon Song" goes over GREAT. Especially if you are willing to try to do the cartoon voices. And you dont have to get them perfect. If you get close to imitating the voice then kids will pick up on it. The song looks really easy to play too.

Click the link to hear it.. I think and TABhere for it

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@specialk)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

im really grateful for all your help, but do you think it would be appropriate to play all the songs mentioned? The kids are between 7-12, so even if the 7 year olds are enjoying some of the songs, the 12 year olds wont be able to bear some songs.

Special K

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

im really grateful for all your help, but do you think it would be appropriate to play all the songs mentioned? The kids are between 7-12, so even if the 7 year olds are enjoying some of the songs, the 12 year olds wont be able to bear some songs.

You'll have to use your judgment as to the age mix.

As it's a church-related group, I'd lean toward the praise/worship songs myself.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

I have an 8 and a 12, both boys. They both like the same type of music. I would stick to praise and worship stuff if you know or can learn it. Most of it is pretty simple. Go to the KLOVEor Air 1 websites and see what is popular. Most of the rock/pop stuff would go over well and their parents probably listen to one of those stations and so the kids will know the songs and be able to sing along.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@ak_guitar)
Trusted Member

If you're not familiar with the P&W genre (for kids), check out the samples of "Here I am to Worship Kids" here:

http://www.worshiptogether.com/store/productdetail.aspx?iid=216943&tid=187

It's my 8 year-old daughter's favorite.

Sheet music and chord charts can be had on the same site.

Praise the LORD with the harp; make music to him on the ten-stringed lyre. Sing to him a new song; play skillfully, and shout for joy. For the word of the LORD is right and true; he is faithful in all he does. Psalm 33:2-4

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

I sure wish i could be a part of that gig.Even without getting paid , i would happily take along my acoustic guitar if i can find such a nice audience for myself. :)

ReplyQuote
(@dylan6776)
Estimable Member

My nephew is ten, and he LOVES it when I play guitar - no matter what I play. I think he just likes the sound of a live instrument, so I'm sure you'll do fine no matter what. The one thing I have found with him is that he LOVES to blow my harmonica while I play, and it's great to see him getting involved; so do take something along to let them participate (tamberines are a hot fave, and, as said, harmonica's). I agree with the other guys n girls on here though, try and keep it 'churchy' if that's the general theme - but 10/10 for Margaret's advice - "don't be afraid to do something silly" AND HAVE FUN! :D

Let us know how it goes. I bet they'll love it!!

Never assume the other fellow has intelligence equal to yours. He may have more.

ReplyQuote
(@jasonrunguitar)
Reputable Member

I wouldn't worry about the 12 year olds been too turned off by the music, Special K. I lead a praise and worship band for a youth group for college kids, and you wouldn't believe how well crazy songs with fun actions go over. We do this one song called 'Trading My Sorrows' that has hand actions galore, and it's so much fun to see a bunch of 18-22 year-olds really getting into it.

OK, so maybe some 12 year-olds will think that they're too "cool" for it, but I think the majority will dig it, especially if you go with praise and worship music.

Oh, and just an opinion, I really like Margeret's suggestion of Pharoah, Pharoah. If you don't know it, just look up the words. Like she said, it goes to the tune of Luey, Luey (doesn't get much easier in terms of guitar playing:smile:) only with different words and some fun actions.

Most importantly, I think if you have fun with it, so will they! Best of luck!

-Jason
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To those about to rock, we salute you!
http://www.soundclick.com/jasonwittenbach

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2