Notifications
Clear all

playing in an apartment?

15 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@fairuza)
Topic starter  

i am a beginner and haven't even bought anything yet, but if i were buy a guitar or bass guitar and an amp would i be able to plug in some headphones and practice silently so my neighbors can not hear me? i live in an apartment complex.

(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

there are several amp models that have headphone plug ins. My little Kustom 30 watt has both headphone and cd plugins and it's great. I can play anytime day or night and not disturb the family

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
(@fairuza)
Topic starter  

awesome!

ReplyQuote
(@djdubb)
Reputable Member

In my college dorm I use a little Drive 30 watt amp, it was about 60 U.S dollars, and it has a headphone jack.

"Failure is the key to success" Lee Wen; Champ vs Champ

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

I, too, started out this year with a new guitar and focus.

Here's what I bought to get started.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/search/detail/base_pid/519633/

I can't recommend it enough for beginners and intermediates. I have had this kit almost a year and still enjoy playing the strat. It sounds incredible through my new amp. The pickups are hotter than you'd think. Plus it comes with everything you need to get started. Even headphones that'll plug into the amp. I took this kit with me while traveling and every night would hook it up in my motel room and didn't bother anyone around me. It even has a line in for a cassette deck or cd player so you can practice along with recorded music.

Just my honest experience. I even submitted a review. :oops: :)

Have fun with learning guitar and welcome to GN.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

yes welcome to the musical madhouse :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@soju04)
Eminent Member

I also live in an apartment and needed headphone capability, here is what I have:

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

If you go the guitar route, pick up a Roland MicroCube. It has a headphone jack and it is low wattage so even with no headphones you could keep it down at reasonable volume. I just got one and love it.

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
(@nolongerme)
Honorable Member

I live with my parents...my ibanez has a headphone jack.

Welcome to GN!

:)

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

I have a Marshall MG30DFX which also has CD and headphone jacks

If you're on a severe budget, you can pick up Tascam Portastudios at reasonable money on E-bay and places like that - they have headphone jacks and you can tape yourself at the same time.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

fairuza,

Apartment, neighbors who cares...it ain't rock n roll until the police come banging on your door a few times..

I know I've been there, done that. But if you want to be a nice neighbor than a amp with a headphone jack is the way to go.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@jonetoe)
Reputable Member

Well I live in an apartment and play acoustic and have heard my neighbor bang on my walls a few times. I usually play the louder stuff when I wake up (which is about 1pm I work nites) I would rather play loud after work but am forced to practice finger picking then, and the pick strumming and pick plucking in the day. Summer's better I can go outside

ReplyQuote
(@nolongerme)
Honorable Member

I've been thinking about getting an apartment, now i'll be thinking about this

ReplyQuote
(@wannabe)
Trusted Member

Hi there

I also live in a "quiet" apartment building, so i picked up a roland microcube and i just love it. easy to keep at a lower volume and it's tiny so it takes up very little room, and belive me in my apartment that's very important.

Cheers
brian

I don't understand, I got the guitar, and the beer, the commercial said I'd be a rock star by now...

the reason we fall is so we can learn how to pick ourselves back up

ReplyQuote
(@oktay)
Reputable Member

I have a semi-hollow body electric (ibanez) that can be played without an amp, and it's not as loud as an acoustic. I have also used my Digitech effects processor with headphones (without going through an amp) just last night. Works very well and it's a lot more portable than a regular amp. (Although I have seen cigaratte package sized mini amps at the guitar store which would be more portable, assuming they work well)

oktay

ReplyQuote