Clear all

Playing in Time: Metronomes

24 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@sagaciouskjb2)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Well, I've never really practiced playing in time. I've studied the mechanics of rythym a bit and all, but I've never actually practiced say, playing off sheet music, or playing to a beat.

Needless to say, for someone that doesn't posess a natural rythym, this could cause problems when you got together to play with someone else. And it did for me; I'm not entirely sure if they were keeping a beat of their own, but all I know, is there was no syncnicity between the two of us.

So, lately, I've considered buying a metronome. See, I'm 16 years old, just got my liscense, and don't have a job. Needless to say, I'm stretched for cash and for gas, and $20 for a metronome is actually a big deal to me. At the moment I don't even have an amp that I can stand (it really discourages me from playing, but I'll get through it), but I really think it might be important that I start learning how to play in time now.

The thing is, however, is that I just met this instructore at a local guitar-shop, who is INCREDIBLE. He can play just about anything I could tell him to play, and I'd really love to learn some things from him. The first thing on my list, would probably be harmonics. Then tapping or sweep picking, you know, things that I can't really find explanations for too easily on the internet. (You guys may have sweep picking lessons, but I haven't looked yet).

So, basically, what do you guys think? Should I spring $20 for the metronome, and wait for the next milennia to take a lesson? How important is it really to learn how to play in time right now? I don't expect to play in time with anyone anytime soon, but I guess what I'm asking, is if not practicing it now will hurt me later.

Thanks.

(@rip-this-joint)
Estimable Member

You could easily get a free metronome on the internet. I would also advise that you play along with CDs, I think this helps get different rythmic ideas in your head. Also if the guy is willing to hook it up for 20$/hr I would try that.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

If you are looking for something to travel with you they you should buy one (I am still learning how to use it!). BUt if just want one for practicing here is a free online one Online Metronome.

Take that $20 and take your girlfriend out to dinner!

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

here is a free metronome, enjoy :D
http://www.metronomeonline.com/
edit:
OOPS sorry didn't see mikes link

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

It is not just a matter of playing "in time" with anyone else it is also a matter of playing "in time" with the song. All songs have a time factor which turns into beats per minute (BPM) so it is important to be able to keep a rhythm.

It is also important to take lessons especially if you are they type that needs the hands on and tender loving approach a teacher can give you. So you need to find an economical solution.

Since the metronome is a one time purchase you should probably get that over with first then plan for the ongoing cost of lessons. If you don't already have an electronic tuner you can look for one with a built in metronome.

In the interim there are online and downloadable metronomes that run on a PC.

Here is a link to one online http://www.metronomeonline.com/index.php?/Default.asp

Here is a downloadable one http://www.polyrhythms.com/ (near top of page)

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@sagaciouskjb2)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Yeah, I've actually tried some of the online metronomes before, but this post was written badly on my part.

I guess I forgot to mention that along with buying the metronome, I woud try to purchas a lesson (they're $15 an hour) on how to use it. When I intitally tried one of the online ones, I got very confused.

That was around a year ago, but i still don't know if the idea of playing four notes in the time provided between each beat would be considered playing quarter notes, or really what in the world I'm supposd to do with it.

The thing is, this would be the first and last lesson I could do for a litte while, so I'm kind of wondering what would be the most valuable use of it.

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

For most rock music, a beat (or a click of the metronome) is a quarter note.

https://www.guitarnoise.com/article.php?id=86

If you are still confused, repost the question. I'm sure Tom or David can talk you through it.

Spend your lesson on technique.

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Nice article and explains alot.
Here is an exercise to work on with a metronome.
Set your metronome to 60 bpm (free online one is fine)
We will assume 4/4 time for now.
Play a scale, any scale in 1/4 notes. one note per tick of the metronome. make sure you strike the note on the click and let it ring until you strike the next note on the next click.
When you get this down go to 1/8 notes. Strike the first note on the click, strike the second note exactly between clicks strike the third note on the second click ect...
It helps if you count out loud 1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4 for 1/4 notes and 1,and,2,and,3,and,4,and,1,and,2,and ect.. for 1/8 notes. this will be replaced later on by tapping your foot on the beat.
That is a good start and should keep you busy for a couple of days.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Play a scale, any scale in 1/4 notes. one note per tick of the metronome. make sure you strike the note on the click and let it ring until you strike the next note on the next click.
When you get this down go to 1/8 notes. Strike the first note on the click, strike the second note exactly between clicks strike the third note on the second click ect...
It helps if you count out loud 1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4 for 1/4 notes and 1,and,2,and,3,and,4,and,1,and,2,and ect.. for 1/8 notes. this will be replaced later on by tapping your foot on the beat.

I think I need to add this to my practice schedule...I was looking for a simple way to learn how to use the metronome...I have been just listening to the song and then winging it....then when it's smooth I recorded and compare it to the original. I am close on most of them...

Thank missleman

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

In case it helps:

We have 2 metronomes. One is an old fashioned clockwork one. It's a tall triangular shaped thing with a large rod that swings from side to side like an upside down pendulum.

PROS: No batteries needed! It's also very loud and clear and has a bell that can be set to clang at the start of each bar (measure). It's very easy to follow as it's LOUD and the rod is very easy to see, even out of the corner of your eye.

CONS: It's pretty intrusive, so you can run out of friends fast if other people are trying to concentrate on something else nearby.

The second one is an electronic one. It's far smaller and can be sat on the music stand with the music. It can be muted or used with headphones. It has a small visual display that shows the equivalent of the 'pendulum' on the mechanical one.

PROS: Quiet, small, adjustable for sound and look.

CONS: Nowhere near as strong an impact as the mechanical one. I often have trouble hearing it over my playing, especially the different tone it makes to mark the bar ends. It's also not as easy to follow with the eye unless you're looking right at it. Both these factors may be exaggerated due to the age of my eyes and ears. And I expect it's also a matter of what you get used to.

Well worth having one though. :D

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Nice article and explains alot.

Metronomes SUCK!...I just tried this and I had to set it at 40bpm to even come close to getting it! Scales I can do in my sleep I kept missing the strings, forgetting what notes to play...Without the metronome I can play the scale like Steve Vai (well not that good but you get the idea!! :wink: !!!).

Metronomes Are EVIL!!!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

:D :D :D :D :D

Steely Dan

ReplyQuote
(@scott_r)
Trusted Member

Metronomes SUCK!...I just tried this and I had to set it at 40bpm to even come close to getting it! Scales I can do in my sleep I kept missing the strings, forgetting what notes to play...Without the metronome I can play the scale like Steve Vai (well not that good but you get the idea!! :wink: !!!).

Metronomes Are EVIL!!!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

So, to you, it probably sounded ominous.....like the steady tick-tick-tick of a bomb. :lol:

Give it time (no pun intended). It felt very awkward to me at first, but got easier very quickly.

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

Just some additional encouragement if you haven't read the article already
https://www.guitarnoise.com/article.php?id=516
And yes if you know the scales well, you'll be playing in time in no time :P

Also, you're probably better at this than I am, but I find I have force myself to count in, and get the rythm into my foot first. I'm forever jumping in to fast and the first notes are all over the place :oops:

Steely Dan

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

To (maybe) help you count in time, try -

1-2-3-4-2-2-3-4-3-2-3-4-4-2-3-4 and start over.

By doing that, you don't forget where you are.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2