Clear all

Playing Lead?

12 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@danada)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Teacher showed me the minor pentonic scale or rock scale.
I have no problem goign through this, he said I could play lead guitar with just this scale.

So I have been practicing doing this for a while now, and am wondering if all lead guitar must abide by the particular scale you are using.

And if you can play without any scale.

"We're officially on welfare. Come on, kids. Help me scatter garbage on the front lawn."

(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Yes most guitarist at least know the scale's. Its up to you as to using them and how creative you are. Once you get familiar with them you can make them talk. What to do is record youself playing a rhythm. Then play the rhythm back and practice lead against it. Here's a few scales that I tabbed out sometime back. Try a few different ones out.

Tabbed Scales

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

whether a guitar player knows the scales or not, I think they invariably play scales.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@pkrider)
Trusted Member

When you're playing your leads, focus on begining and ending the lick on a note of the chord. These "notes of the chord" are also called arpeggios. There are 5 patterns of that scale in any key from the nut to the 12th fret, and you should be able to find at least 5 arpeggios, one or more for each scale pattern within the key you're playing. If you're jamming in an "A" major scale you will always sound at least decent if the run begins and ends on a note of the arpeggio. Major chords are always the 1st (root) 3rd and 5th note of the major scale (think do ray me fah so la tee). An "A" major scale is A, B, C#, D, E, F#, G#. Therefore the "A" chord arpeggio is the root A, then C#, then E. when making a run, try starting on the A, then noodle thru the scale to slightly pause on the C#, then again noodle up the scale to pause on the E, then turn it around and go back down the scale without pausing to end the lick on the root A. Keep in mind timing is everything, practice counting if you can (one and two and three and four), and before you know if you'll be transferring your feelings into your licks. Hopefully this helps :)

PK

ReplyQuote
(@danada)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

------------------------------5-9------------------
-------------------------5-9-----------------------
--------------------5-8----------------------------
---------------5-8---------------------------------
----------5-8--------------------------------------
------5-9------------------------------------------ (etc.)

Im kinda confused now I dono what to call this (assuming its correct).

Is this Minor Pentonic?

"We're officially on welfare. Come on, kids. Help me scatter garbage on the front lawn."

ReplyQuote
(@martin-6)
Honorable Member

whether a guitar player knows the scales or not, I think they invariably play scales.

To refine that statement.... the good ones invariably play scales! Personally I am still battling with that element of "variability"...

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

------------------------------5-9------------------
-------------------------5-9-----------------------
--------------------5-8----------------------------
---------------5-8---------------------------------
----------5-8--------------------------------------
------5-9------------------------------------------ (etc.)

Im kinda confused now I dono what to call this (assuming its correct).

Is this Minor Pentonic?

No.

This is A, C#, D, F, G, Bb, C, Eb, E, G#, A, C#

The minor pentatonic at the 5th fret needs the notes A, C, D, E, G etc

so, for the basic 1st pattern pentatonic you need to play:

---5---8
---5---8
---5---7
---5---7
---5---7
---5---8

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

This is the Blues Scale in A

No, that's A Pentatonic Minor or C Pentatonic Major (They are enharmonic)

A Blues would have a D# in it also, like this: A Blues.

*edit: Al beat me to it again, so I've edited out my corrections :) *

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@danada)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Ya nvm I think alan got it, Im not looking at me guitar so I didnt transcribe it correctly.

Thanks

ReplyQuote
(@danada)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Now this is getting into scales, and im sure there are many posts alrdy about this but whats another scale i should learn next so that I can just practice that.

The reason I havent practiced many ATM is because I am Flabbergasted by all the different ones so if someone could post another scale that would keep me in the same direction or one of value ( with a tab would be delightful ).

Thanks.

One at a time.

ReplyQuote
(@pkrider)
Trusted Member

Now this is getting into scales, and im sure there are many posts alrdy about this but whats another scale i should learn next so that I can just practice that.

The reason I havent practiced many ATM is because I am Flabbergasted by all the different ones so if someone could post another scale that would keep me in the same direction or one of value ( with a tab would be delightful ).

Thanks.

One at a time.

Learn the major scale! The blues (minor) and pentatonic are almost identical in layout, so if you learn the major scale as well you'll have 3 covered!

PK

ReplyQuote
 MCH
(@mch)
Trusted Member

Good lead is more than playing scales. You have to know the notes of the chord (1,3, 5). The leads I like have a ghosting of the melody. Playing the 1 note (the signature note of the chord) before the next chord change really strengthens the solo. Of course timing is everything.
my take

ReplyQuote