Clear all

Playing same notes in different positions

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@dommy09)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I was just wondering about playing the same notes in diff positions...ie playing melodies using the 5th fret on a string (d note) or playing the d open, follwing up by playing 7th fret (f note) on the a string, and playing it 2nd fret d string

is there really a difference? i have tabbed a few songs by ear, looked at some vids and found that if im playing it up on the fifth and seventh frets they are often playing down on the lower frets a couple of strings down...

i cant hear much of a difference, although the open notes do sound a little richer...is it really a major problem or should i just play where it feels comfortable?

"We all have always shared a common belief that music is meant to be played as loud as possible, really raw and raunchy, and I'll punch out anyone who doesn't like it the way I do." -Bon Scott

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Yes, there's a difference. But it might not be important.

Sounds are made up of several different factors, and what you're talking about covers two of them - pitch and timbre. Pitch is how high or low a note is... timbre is the "quality" of the sound.

No matter where you fret a note, the pitch is the same; the open 1st string is the same pitch as the 2nd string 5th fret, 3rd string 9th fret, 4th string 14th fret, etc. But they don't sound exactly the same.

Each position has subtle differences in the overtones produced, and that's affected by the length of the string from the fret to the bridge, whether the string is wound or plain, the gauge of the string, etc. Some differences are going to be bigger than others.

So if you hear a difference, it's big enough to be important - make a musical decision. If you don't hear a difference, or if there isn't enough of one to worry about, make a technique-based decision.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

Some technique-based decisions might include:
Efficiency:
Choosing to play notes in a location that is close to the previous notes and/or following notes. You don't want to be jumping all over the fretboard if you can help it. Less movement = more efficiency.
Vibrato:
Whether you can achieve vibrato at the lower frets as effectively as you can at the higher frets. That applies to bending too.
Intonation:
If you're unfortunate enough to be playing a cheap and nasty or badly set up guitar, it might sound fine at the nut and lower frets but become increasingly out of tune the higher up the fretboard you go.

Open strings present different choices again. They are a two-edged sword. On the plus side, open strings are great as you can play them even if all your other fingers are busy with other notes. Open strings can sustain freely, providing the required harmony while your fingers move off to do other things on other strings.
On the downside, that freely sustaining open string doesn't know when to stop and can just as easily provide the WRONG harmony as it clashes with the notes on other strings immediately following it, unless you take steps to mute it. Not a problem with fretted strings that are completely under your control. Also there's no vibrato with open strings. If you play a slow melodic phrase with a warm vibrato, any note on an open string will sound noticeably and disappointingly 'colder' as the vibrato suddenly stops. Last one I can think of - pulloffs. You can't pull off from an open string.

ReplyQuote
(@daniel-lioneye)
Reputable Member

I was going to reply, but I think you two ^^^ have covered it pretty thoroughly. I never really thought about all of the technique-based decisions, I usually just make sure it's efficient to play it the way I am. So thanks a lot Fretsource for all the info.

Guitars: Electric: Jackson DX10D, J. Reynolds Fat Strat copy
Acoustic: New York and a Jasmine.
Amps: Austin 15 watt, Fender Deluxe 112, Fender Champion 600 5w, 0ld 1970's Sears 500g.
Effects: Digitech Whammy, Big Muff Pi USA, MXR, Washburn Distortion.

ReplyQuote
(@dommy09)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

thanks to you both for comprehensive information

at the moment i agree with the ideas about open notes being a bit more difficult, and i can visualise the pattern easier at the higher frets, as the riffs i'm talking about both occur in the pentatonic box patterns, whereas down the fretboard i find it a bit harder to visualise

thanks again

"We all have always shared a common belief that music is meant to be played as loud as possible, really raw and raunchy, and I'll punch out anyone who doesn't like it the way I do." -Bon Scott

ReplyQuote