Skip to content
playing with finger...

Notifications
Clear all

playing with fingers question (not fingerpicking!)

8 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@matteo)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Hello all

this may seem a silly question but I'd like to know your opinion. As I said in previous postings, I'm playing with a classical guitar (I'd b better buy an acostic one one day tough..). All books say that classical guitar is built to be played with fingers only not with a pick, so it is an instrument more apt to play arpeggios, flamenco, bossa nova etc than say folk/country/rock. If I strum, I tend to play the guitar with a pick because if I play with fingers only there is not enough resonance, still I guess the sound would be better if I used fingers only. When I play with fingers I use the thumb as it was a pick but the resulting sound is a lot lower than if I play with a pick and, expecially with some fast sixteen notes pattern, also a bit muddy. So my question is: which is the best tecnhique to obtain a good strumming with bare fingers? all tips will be welcomed

thanks

Mattei

(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

I play primarily electric guitars and play with my fingers only. For strumming I pinch my thumb and index finger together just as if I was holding a pick. on the downstoke the nail of my index finger strokes the strings on the upstroke the nail of my thumb. I get good sustain this way as your nail is a natural version of a pick. Listen to Jeff Beck if you want to hear some really hot playing done without a pick, he never uses one.

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
(@ak_guitar)
Trusted Member

FWIW, I recently saw Al DiMeola (3rd row - nice!) and he played his flamenco (classical) entirely with a pick.

A bit off-topic, but here's an article I found when I was researching fingerstyle/classical technique:

http://www.artsymmetry.com/Article/Guitar-Lesson--Learn-To-Play-Classical-Guitar-Without-Nails/2650

It's about playing without nails as I find long nails a nasty proposition and refuse to go that way regardless of how much I like that style of playing. It might help you with developing technique.

Praise the LORD with the harp; make music to him on the ten-stringed lyre. Sing to him a new song; play skillfully, and shout for joy. For the word of the LORD is right and true; he is faithful in all he does. Psalm 33:2-4

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

All books say that classical guitar is built to be played with fingers only not with a pick,

Don't tell Willie Nelson that.
His main guitar for years (and years..) has been a Martin N-20 classical guitar, yet he often plays with a pick.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@matteo)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

hi thanks all for your suggestions

To teleplayer. Thanks: I tried your technique and it seems to work well (of course I need a bit of training). The sound is a lot clearer than if I played with thumb only!!!

Matteo

ReplyQuote
(@velsing)
Trusted Member

I'm a newbie playing with a classical guitar and I experienced a similar problem. The sound of a pick is too harsh for my liking when strumming. Also, the index finger and thumb method i find is a bit uncomffortable.

At the moment what works best for me is to hold my fingers loose and slightly curved. On the downstrum I use the nails of all four fingers, and on the upstrum I use the nail of the thumb.

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

I use both methods... (Fingers and a Plectrum). Depending on the song or my feeling(s).

For newbies I think its important to get a feel for both techniques cuz eventually you'll need to get comfortable with holding a pick in your fingers and learning how to strum with one.

I'm glad to say I've been using only THICK picks lately. When I first started I couldn't ever imagine anyone using a THICK pick so I played Mediums for over a year and a half. Now they seem like their too thin. LOL Go figure...lol

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

Just my 2 cents.... my 8 yr old son is taking lessons with a classical guitar. The nylon strings are easier on his small hands. Anyway, I have fooled around with his guitar a few times, using a thin pick and it doesn't sound too harsh (at least not to me).

ReplyQuote