Clear all

Please Help

6 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@fretlessdma)
Topic starter  

Dear All

Iv learnt the fingering of the major and minor pentatonics and the minor adding the 'blues' note. However now when i wish to compile a solo I keep wondering the same thing......

Can you play the minor scale over major chords and vice versa?

And, say the 1st chord under the solo is C and the next chord is E, and I have started my solo on the 8th fret (C), do i have to be playing an E note when the rythme changes to E? OR do you solo within the scale related to the chord that the solo starts in AND stay within that scale?

So far iv tried running up and down the fretboard starting with a given note (say G) and running up the scale in both major and minor pents but this hasnt really helped me apply it to any particular songs!!

Pls help

(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

You just need to stay in the scale. And, yes, you can play the minor scale over major chords. And you don't need to play an E when the chord changes to an E. Just stay in the scale.
I hope that's the kind of info you're looking for.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@fretlessdma)
Topic starter  

thanks very much that gives me something to go with, i never realised minor scales could be played over major chords!!! that will open up new avenues.

am i right in thinking that if the major chord is C then i play the minor scale for 'Am' ?? If so then i think a lot of the theory has just fallen in to place!!!

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

The relative minor starts on the 6th note of the scale, or three frets back. So, yes, the relative minor to C is Am. You got it.

-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@fretlessdma)
Topic starter  

fantastic, thanks again, one last thing

are there certain notes within both the minor and major that you can only start from

eg If the rythme plays C and I want to solo minor scale, can i play the A note at the same time as the rythme plays the C chord or must i start on the same note as the chord and then work upwards or downwards within the scale.

Thanks for taking the time buddy

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

You can do whatever sounds good in there. There's an A in the C (relative minor Am) scale so go for it. The only thing you want to try to do is to end your solo on the tonic, or the root of the scale. So if you choose the Am pentatonic scale for your solo, try to end on the A. It makes the solo seem ended, concluded, finished as planned rather than just over. Hope that made sense.

-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote