Clear all

Please help out an absolute beginner...

10 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@nick0512)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hi, I'm Nick, I'm 17, on homeschool, and have A LOT of free time on my hands (which I think will be beneficial to learning how to play.) I've been wanting to learn how to play guitar for a while now but I never really said to myself "Hey, me, I'm gonna do this... now!" Well, I said just that a few days ago but I've never picked up an instrument in my life, I don't know where to begin. :?

I've decided that I wanna start out with an acoustic and get an electric later on when I know how to play well but I need help with deciding which brand/model I should start out with. If you guys can recommend a really good one it would be greatly appreciated. Also, what accessories should I buy along with my guitar to help me along the journey to becoming great? Finally, does it matter if someone starts out with either an acoustic or electric? I've heard that you should start out with an acoustic then move on to electric rather than starting with electric.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read my post and helping me out. :wink:

I wanna be an elite guitarist. :)

(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Hi Nick,

It doesn't matter which guitar you start on, as long as it fits with where you want to end up. You shouldn't start on acoustic if you have no intention of playing acoustic.

Stuff you'll need:

capo
extra strings
picks
metronome
chromatic tuner
music stand
guitar strap

You haven't said how much you want to spend, but three good beginner guitar lines:

Seagull - just about any of their models
Walden - I've only played one, but it seemed fine
Washburn - Make sure you get a solid top. I like the D-25 and D-29. For a smaller guitar, take a look at the F-10s

You really have to play them to pick.

You should be able to get a good acoustic from the list above for under $300. The F-10s I've seen on ebay for $170.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Not mentioned above.
Not absolutely needed but I recomend at least a Gig Bag or a case if you can afford it to protect your guitar.
I have 2 acoustics and both are nice and have a great sound.
Both where around $200 each.
Dean Playmate PPE electro-acoustic and
Crafter D7- solid cedar top-nice guitar. (they usually go for around $300 but I got a good deal from a small shop)

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

One more brand for entry level guitars, maybe - I had a student start last month who had a totally unplayable guitar (a Wal-Mart Christmas gift). She's now got a new one now - an Austin. Not exactly high end, and it's only the second one I've played - but she got one that's very easy to fret, and sounds decent. I think she got a nice bang for her buck.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
 klim
(@klim)
Reputable Member

Hi Nick,

I bought an Art and Lutherie Wild Cherry guitar $300.00 Canadian.

http://www.artandlutherieguitars.com/intro.htm

I've been very happy with this guitar as it's a great beginner acoustic guitar. I like the ideal of starting on a Acoustic as it will build up your finger strength. Also it's just easier to pick up an acoustic guitar and just play.

Eventually you will want to move onto a better guitar, but just choose one that feels good in your hands and that doesn't have too high of an action (so you don't have to press down so hard that your hand hurts). There's nothing worse than the feeling of a cheap guitar, because you'll never want to pick up your guitar.

P.S. We homeschool our kids as well, so take advantage of your time and play, learn and have fun.

Kenny

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

The one thing I have learned in my very short time playing guitar is: Everyone has their favorite brands and theirs may not work for you. So I suggest using the opinions expressed here as a guide, but you've got to play a bunch of guitars yourself to find what works best for you. Doesn't matter if you can't play yet. Just strum them and you'll hear the difference. Move your fingers up and down the fretboard. Is the neck too thick, too thin? Those are the kinds of things that are important starting out. You've got to feel comfortable with the guitar on or in your lap. Worry about tone and wood types, etc. later down the road when your ear gets better.

With that said, I've read nothing but good things about the Alvarez RD8's for beginners. $200 with hard case isn't too bad for a very playable guitar.

Good luck!

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
(@laoch)
Estimable Member

I initially wanted to play electric guitar and finally bought one (a Samick). I later felt that an acoustic would be good to have and learn on as well. Since I play left-handed, my choices were more limited. I bought a Samick acoustic guitar online ($200 or so?) and I'm very happy with it. I was also surprised to find myself playing the acoustic more!

I agree with what was said above but I wouldn't worry too much about finding the "perfect" or "right" beginner guitar. Look at several guitar models and brands and find a playable guitar that you can afford from a reputable dealer. For me, it was more important to finally get started playing on something.

Find a good guitar shop where you can try several guitars in your price range. I wouldn't get overly hung up on brand name.

Good luck!

"The details of my life are quite inconsequential." - Dr. Evil

ReplyQuote
(@washburned420)

I paid $100 for my Washburn D100. The best $100 I ever spent in my life. I have several musician freinds who laughed when I told them I had ordered a guitar and what the price was. One said at least I could use it for firewood. Once I got it and showed it to them, their opinions changed. They all agreed it was a great guitar for the price, and a very decent guitar, regardless of price.

ReplyQuote
(@yellow_tangerine)
Eminent Member

I know many on this board warn against package deals because they're usually very cheap, but my first guitar, and three guitars later, the one I use the most, was a Fender DG8S value pack. VERY nice guitar with low action (you want it) and a solid spruce top, extra strings, picks, a strap, a gig bag, a dvd (mostly crap, but has a nice tutorial on changing strings that is very helpful), and a chromatic tuner, the most useful thing I didn't even know I needed. All for about $230 at my local music store.

If you don't know where you're going,
Any road will take you there

ReplyQuote
 Narn
(@narn)
Estimable Member

With that said, I've read nothing but good things about the Alvarez RD8's for beginners. $200 with hard case isn't too bad for a very playable guitar.
Good luck!

I haven't played a RD8 but I love my AD70. I too have read many good things about Alvarez, so you might want to try a couple.

"You want WHAT on the *&%#ing ceiling?" - Michelangelo, 1566

ReplyQuote