Skip to content
Poll: How old were ...

Notifications
Clear all

Poll: How old were you when you began playing guitar?

12 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@quarterfront)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

This topic comes up from time to time, and there's a thread going now about it. I thought it would be interesting to use the "poll" feature to get a breakdown by percentage.

If you started and quit in the past, then started again later in life you need to make a judgement call as to which of these was when you "started" playing. Your call....

(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Many, many, MANY people picked up a guitar in their teens, and then put it down for years - life/marriage/kids/jobs got in the way - a better question would be, "How old were you when you seriously decided you HAD to play guitar...." we're all guitarists here, so honesty's not a problem....

(I got my first guitar at 18, but decided to take it seriously when I was about 47.....)

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

All my siblings hve played guitars / keyboards since childhood Not me though ...

I started 41 ...Now I can actually form about 10 chords ,,,

Strumming well thats another thing along with timeing ....

Currently 43 well thats what my birth certificate says ..Wife says about 18-20 and getting younger { in the head } :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Somewhere between 6 and 8 I started lessons. Can't recall exactly so I usually say 7 :)

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

I started when I was 18.

ReplyQuote
(@ghost)
Prominent Member

I started three times, but went with the earliest, when I was 13. I took 2 years of lessons then.

"If I had a time machine, I'd go back and tell me to practise that bloody guitar!" -Vic Lewis

Everything is 42..... again.

ReplyQuote
(@kaizer-szoza)
Estimable Member

I had my first lessons when about 16, but I had no patience--too busy chas'n skirts and chas'n that eternal buzz :shock: To think if I played back then, I could have had the skirts, the buzz, and played the guitar :lol: :lol: LOL I guess you could put that in any order.

Some 16 years later, I pick it up after singing in a band for a while and catching some lesson from some of the members. Now I am playing and loving every minute. Now to sing and play guitar is my next real challenge.

p.s. I no longer chase skirts and the only buzz that I get is from playing music.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

One of the covers my band plays is Eighteen by Alice Cooper. That song has special meaning for me, because that song came out when I was 18, the same time I started guitar. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@kalle_in_sweden)
Prominent Member

As Vic says, started in the teens (1965 , beatles era) and put it down for ages.
Started again at 53 years of age when the kids started to be interested of playing.

Tanglewood TW28STE (Shadow P7 EQ) acoustic
Yamaha RGX 320FZ electric guitar/Egnater Tweaker 15 amp.
Yamaha RBX 270 bass/Laney DB 150 amp.
http://www.soundclick.com/kalleinsweden

ReplyQuote
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

38 when I started properly.

Interesting results from the poll.

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

ReplyQuote
(@daniel-lioneye)
Reputable Member

Started when i was 13, but i just messed around. I took lessons and got serious when i was 16, and i am now 17.

Guitars: Electric: Jackson DX10D, J. Reynolds Fat Strat copy
Acoustic: New York and a Jasmine.
Amps: Austin 15 watt, Fender Deluxe 112, Fender Champion 600 5w, 0ld 1970's Sears 500g.
Effects: Digitech Whammy, Big Muff Pi USA, MXR, Washburn Distortion.

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

I was 34. Got divorced and had so much free time on my hands I started on guitar. :D

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote