Notifications
Clear all

Post your 2009 goals

27 Posts
22 Users
0 Likes
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

I've been playing - Almost a year, end of January.

I play - acoustic and electric for classic rock. All rhythm, all the time.

My goal for 2009 is: Improve, improve, improve. Get those chords and chord changes that are bugging me; get more confident in what I can do; more finger work and solo.

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

ReplyQuote
(@cuppajack)
Eminent Member

I've been playing Since March 08... Taking lessons since September.
My teach and I just set my 2, 4, and 12 month goals and I think I'm in for it this year. I'm going to have to keep up on my practice schedule to get all this done:

In Two Months:
Have a 4-song set on solo guitar:
• Hurt
• Wish You Were Here
• Born Under a Bad Sign (w/ Lead)
• ?
Proficiently loop a 12-bar progression using barre chords and play a bluesy lead over it
• Improve rhythm playing / time-keeping

In Four Months

Start to integrate a wah into playing
“Sound more bluesy” How?
• Improve accuracy of bends / improve ear
• Have a collection of bluesy riffs/licks to play when I pick up a strange guitar

In Twelve Months:
Play a simple bottleneck slide blues w/ finger/hybrid picking
Finish Blues You Can Use
Use the blues-scale to improvise leads up-and-down the whole neck
Be more comfortable playing for and with other people
Write (and record?) one song
Goal Songs:
• Ball and Biscuit –The White Stripes
• Something by Led Zeppelin
• Drain You –Nirvana (+singing)
• …

ReplyQuote
(@wmwilson01)

My teach and I just set my 2, 4, and 12 month goals and I think I'm in for it this year. I'm going to have to keep up on my practice schedule to get all this done

Sounds like you have a good teacher to help you setup goals, and to possibly take you that far in just 2 months.

ReplyQuote
(@cuppajack)
Eminent Member

My teach and I just set my 2, 4, and 12 month goals and I think I'm in for it this year. I'm going to have to keep up on my practice schedule to get all this done

Sounds like you have a good teacher to help you setup goals, and to possibly take you that far in just 2 months.

Yeah, it took a couple of months for us to "sync up" and really understand the best way to work together, but I now things are going well.

To be clear, I've been playing hurt (thanks to the lesson on this site) and Wish You Were Here for several months already. They just need to be tightened up and polished. I'd also put some work into Born Under a Bad Sign in '08 so I really just need to learn some leads to play over the chords and the riff. Song #4 is a bit of a wild card right now... Not sure what to pick for the set.

The real driving force is my instructor required that I set a date for a 'performance' in 2 months. if can be for one person, or a whole group, but it has to be a SET DATE to perform the 4-songs...

ReplyQuote
(@bjourne)
Trusted Member

I've been playing for 8 months. Goal for 2009 is to play and sing American Pie like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8pkvjH4L_4 Then I will quit my day job and play for change in the subway.

ReplyQuote
(@tldavis92)
Trusted Member

I already posted, but as I already achieved my goal I guess I should set a new one. I have been practicing hours on end every night, so chord changes are much quicker now. I have now been playing acoustic guitar for about 4 and 1/2 months.

Goal: To master barre-chords and improve finger-picking to the level where I can sing and play a Paul Simon song.

ReplyQuote
(@mercury187)
Trusted Member

Been playing since mid November '08, I practice almost every day for as long as I can, sometimes its only an hour, sometimes its 2 or 3

I play acoustic (Ovation 1537) and electric (Fender Squier Strat) but I never plug in the electric or the acoustic, just trying to get the notes down for now

Goals for 2009:
-work on chord changes, still have problems getting my fingers to land in the right places but its starting to come
-Play complete songs
-I'd also like to attempt to sing the songs if not kind of mutter them if you know what I mean (have no experience in singing other than listening to songs and trying to make my voice match the artists)

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Goals for 2009:
-work on chord changes, still have problems getting my fingers to land in the right places but its starting to come
-Play complete songs
-I'd also like to attempt to sign the songs if not kind of mutter them if you know what I mean (have no experience in singing other than listening to songs and trying to make my voice match the artists)

I almost always sing. Started to maybe a couple years back. It actually helps me keep timing and the rhythm going. It was tough at first, but considerably less difficult once I got going. My voice is dreadful, but just fine when you're home alone. 8)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

I can honest just say....PLAY.

Stop lookin' at forums, unless I have a question & play.

ReplyQuote
(@gchord)
Reputable Member

My goal is to play more kinds of music,different styles than what I play now.I've been playing 26 years,mostly rythym.I can play lead a little bit.I also play bass in our church praise band.I would like to get into bluegrass as I purchsed a mandolin and a resonator.I can play the resonator,but it doesn't sound like bluegrass,more like delta blues. Also,I would like to play some solo gigs.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I don't usually set goals because then you can't be disappointed if you don't reach them but after thinking about this I think my goal will be to reach 3000 posts on this forum and then retire from the forum and guitar playing!!

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@rum-runner)
Reputable Member

I think my goal will be to reach 3000 posts on this forum and then retire from the forum and guitar playing!!

My goal is to hit 500. I sould be able to do that on the "Games and Trivia" board alone, or is that cheating?

Regards,

Mike

"Growing Older But Not UP!"

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2