Clear all

Power 6 and Power 7 Chords

9 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@rsadler)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I've reached a point in my in instrucional DVD that is covering power 6 a nd power 7 chords. The power 6 chords are a stretch, but with time I'm sure it will become easier, but what about the power 7 chords? Do those ever really come easier? I mean five frets is an aweful long way to reach.

(@burgermeister)
Eminent Member

I've reached a point in my in instrucional DVD that is covering power 6 a nd power 7 chords. The power 6 chords are a stretch, but with time I'm sure it will become easier, but what about the power 7 chords? Do those ever really come easier? I mean five frets is an aweful long way to reach.

I do these as a purely stretching exercise just about every day. I play a blues shuffle rhythm and walk up from the 5th to the 6th to the 7th. The 7th is quite a stretch - 6 frets I believe - but you do eventually get it. I usually start out at the 5th fret 6th string and play a blues shuffle in A (A5, A6, A7), move up to the 5th string (5th fret) and play D5, D6, D7, then slide up to the 7th fret and play E5, E6, E7. Fit it into a standard 12 bar blues pattern and you've got a fairly enjoyable exercise. If I feel my hands are stretching ok, I move the whole thing up 2 frets to the 3rd (G) and play the same pattern again. So far I can't stretch wide enough to do it at the 1st or 2nd fret.

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

And the longer the stretch, the more it helps to drop the thumb down to the middle of the back of the neck.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@bmxdude)
Estimable Member

Whats the tab on those chords. I havn't seen them, but would like to know them.

"The answer is practice.
Now, what's the question?"
Words by David Mead.

ReplyQuote
(@burgermeister)
Eminent Member

Whats the tab on those chords. I havn't seen them, but would like to know them.

I don't know how to tab them here but the're simple two note "diads" I guess (as opposed to triads). You simply play the root and the 5th for a triditional 5 power chord. The root and the 6th or the root and the 7th for 6s and 7s. So, the A5 is traditionally the 6th string 5th fret and the 5th string 7th fret. The A6 would have the same root plus the 5th string 9th fret and the A7 would replace the 9th fret with the 10th. By, the way, the 7th is actually the dominant or flat 7 - hence the single fret movement between the 6th and 7th.

ReplyQuote
(@bmxdude)
Estimable Member

Huh. Sorry man my root are really bad I only Know the Basics, and I didn't get what you said. Is there a lessen on here to help understand roots.

"The answer is practice.
Now, what's the question?"
Words by David Mead.

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

The root is what it's named for. A has the note A for the root, whether it's A,Am, A7, or A5 (power chord)

I do wish people would stop making up names for things, though - there's no such thing as a 'power 6' or 'power 7'. They're intervals, plain and simple - sixth and seventh intervals. The term 'power chord' for a perfect fifth interval has been used so much it's now widely accepted by guitarists, but it's not a musical term; keyboard players, horn players, or anyone else will call them perfect fifth intervals.

I don't thik it's a good idea to keep putting special 'guitarist names' to things that have been around for hundreds of years and already have widely accepted terms.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@rsadler)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I do wish people would stop making up names for things, though - there's no such thing as a 'power 6' or 'power 7'.
I just called them as they were in the lessons. /shrug

ReplyQuote
(@burgermeister)
Eminent Member

I do wish people would stop making up names for things, though - there's no such thing as a 'power 6' or 'power 7'.
I just called them as they were in the lessons. /shrug

Noteboat is right, there really isn't any such thing as a power 6 chord or power 7 chord and a conventional power chord (5 chord) is improperly named. As Noteboat said, what you are actually describing is a two note interval where the root (lowest note) and the second note are a 5th or 6th or 7th apart. In other words, you're playing the first note in a given major scale (the root) together with the 5th or 6th or 7th(flat 7th) note of the scale.

If you go back to your original question, the stretch is a big one but will get easier over time. Start further up the neck, as far up as you have to go to be comfortable, and practice the interval stretches there for a while. When your hand gets comfortable, move up a fret or two. This will take quite some time, days, weeks, months so don't expect instantious results.

ReplyQuote