Clear all

power chords

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@danooo)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

so i understand power chords pretty well by now...my question is about minor chords...can they be turned into a power chord? im playing a progression by gaslight anthem that goes Am F C G. Can i turn that Am into a power chord?

in addition ive been using this little graph for forming the chords..... http://www.justinguitar.com/en/CH-004-PowerChords1.php

so whats the differenc between the G power chord formed rooted on the low e opposed to the G power chord formed up the neck on the A string??

thanks guys

(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

so i understand power chords pretty well by now...my question is about minor chords...can they be turned into a power chord? im playing a progression by gaslight anthem that goes Am F C G. Can i turn that Am into a power chord?

You can turn minor chords into power chords (aka 5th chords) by omitting the 3rd of the chord, exactly the same way that you turn major chords into power chords. Power chords are neither major nor minor, so omitting the 3rd from the major chord or the flat 3rd from the minor chord gives exactly the same result.
For example. A major contains notes A C# & E and A minor contains notes A, C & E. Omitting the C# or C (the 3rd of the chord) gives you the power chord A5 containing note A & E.
so whats the differenc between the G power chord formed rooted on the low e opposed to the G power chord formed up the neck on the A string??

The one on the A string (at fret 10) will be an octave higher than the one on the E string (at fret 3).

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

Power chords are neither major nor minor. They are root and 5th, or R 5 8. The Am (x02210 A E A C E) will become a regular A5 power chord (x022xx A E A).

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

ReplyQuote
(@danooo)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

now what if i played that A5 with my root finger on the E 5th fret. doesnt that create an A note? is the A 5 you were talking about and the A5 on the low e the same chord?

ReplyQuote