Notifications
Clear all

Power chords. good? bad?

24 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
(@jedisteven)
Topic starter  

I have noticed some people are vocal in that they do not use power chords. I am wondering since I have only been playing for a couple of weeks. If I start messing around with power chords after I am through with my practices will it make me develop bad habits as a beginner? I am limping my way through my first song still and I am improving my chord changes but I found some tabs to a couple songs I really want to play. What is the general opinion about power chords? Are they like cigarettes and will stunt my growth?

(@jonetoe)
Reputable Member

For acoustic they aren't used much but being able to hit two or strings only will be an asset. For electric guitar they are used often. I play acoustic so its mostly full chords for me

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Powerchords are a tool, in the guitarist's tool-box and are no more, or less, important than any other tool. Learn them, understand them, but don't come to rely on them (otherwise they will stunt your growth).
If you've found a song, that you can play, using powerchords, then go ahead and play it. It'll make you feel good and give you confidence.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Powerchords are a tool, in the guitarist's tool-box and are no more, or less, important than any other tool. Quoted for emphasis. "I don't ever use powerchords" is nothing but snobbery.

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Greybeard hits the nail on the head!

As a jazz guy, I admit to having a bit of disdain for the power-chord set. But I do in fact use them myself when the song calls for it.

There's nothing wrong with them (except perhaps calling an interval a chord .. but semantics aside ...) but if they're all you know how to do, then you have a lot to learn about being a guitarist, regardless of the genre of music you play in.

But, they are a great place for beginners to start. There's lots of songs you can play using nothing else, and you'll learn a lot about keeping time, anticipating chord changes, and other musical pieces playing them.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@voodoo_merman)
Reputable Member

Power chords arent good or bad. They're just simple. If you wanna play metal, punk or some other heavy and distorted genre, then you should make friends with all of the PC's. For more refined genres like blues or jazz, you wont need them at all.

I cant see how PC's could be bad habit forming. They're just two notes played simultaneously. You shouldnt care about what the "general opinion" on things are. If YOU think it sounds good, screw what everybody else thinks.

PC's wont "stunt your growth". If youre trying to be the next Wes Montgomery, then you wont need them.

Learn those songs and power chord your heart out man.

At this time I would like to tell you that NO MATTER WHAT...IT IS WITH GOD. HE IS GRACIOUS AND MERCIFUL. HIS WAY IS IN LOVE, THROUGH WHICH WE ALL ARE. IT IS TRULY -- A LOVE SUPREME --. John Coltrane

ReplyQuote
(@phinnin)
Estimable Member

I find that powerchords have thier place when you have been drinking while playing. Once you are too drunk to play normally, its POWERCHORD time. :)

ReplyQuote
(@cyranodb)
Estimable Member

I agree with those that said powerchords are a tool in our guitar arsenal. Learn them, and use them. some of the best rock and blues songs are based on power chord, but don't forget to learn other things and grow as a guitarist. :)

"I use heavy strings, tune low, play hard and floor it. Floor it, that's a technical term." - SRV

ReplyQuote
(@voodoo_merman)
Reputable Member

blues songs are based on power chord, but don't forget to learn other things and grow as a guitarist. :)

That has just sparked my interest. Is it possible @ all that you could let me know of some? I'd love to add 'em to my library.

At this time I would like to tell you that NO MATTER WHAT...IT IS WITH GOD. HE IS GRACIOUS AND MERCIFUL. HIS WAY IS IN LOVE, THROUGH WHICH WE ALL ARE. IT IS TRULY -- A LOVE SUPREME --. John Coltrane

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I actually play power chords on the acoustic as well. I find them useful for rhythm when you don't want to suggest a particular mood.

ReplyQuote
(@mikey)
Reputable Member

There is nothing wrong with learning power chords. They are actually a good starting point for a few things.

1. It is a base for learning the fretboard. If you learn which power chords are where on the 6th and 5th string (E and A) then you will also be learning the notes on those two strings. Since the 1st string is the same as the 6th, once you've learned the notes on E and A you are 50% of the way to learning the entire fretboard.

2. Power chords use the same shape, they are moveable chords. You will learn early on the importance moveable chords, then of barre chords and hopefully you will not be afraid of barre chords.

3. Maybe you, as a beginner, will be intrigued as to why they are called "Power Chords". This is an excellent entry into basic music theory and chord construction. (as if by Devine intervention there is a new article about power chords on the GN home page this very minute. After reading it, search out other theory lessons written by David Hodge. They might be overwhelming for a new beginner but read them anyway. Then as things fall into place you'll come back, read them again and light bulbs will go off in your head.)

And it begs repeating what Greybeard said. Power chords will get you playing a song you want to play quickly and it will bring you enjoyment and build your confidence. It will keep you playing which is most important.

A brick is not a house but the brick and others make for a solid foundation. Learning power chords is just another brick in wall.

Rock on,
Michael

Playing an instrument is good for your soul

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I would disagree with the statement that blues is based on powerchords. Powerchords are not complete chords, they have been "neutered" - the 3rd, which gives a chord it's "gender" (major/minor), is missing. It is the use of minor scales over dominant 7th chords (amongst others) that makes the blues the blues.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Cyranodb's original sentence was longer than Voodoo Merman's quote, he didn't say/imply all blues songs are based on powerchords. I read it the same way first couple of times :)

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Blues as a genre is defined by a particular harmonic structure.

Blues artists may play songs that are based around power chords, but those songs are not blues songs because they lack the harmonic structure that makes a song blues. They are rock songs being performed by a blues guitarist.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@voodoo_merman)
Reputable Member

Cyranodb's original sentence was longer than Voodoo Merman's quote, he didn't say/imply all blues songs are based on powerchords. I read it the same way first couple of times :)

I know thats not what Cyranodb meant. That would just be crazy :P I just wanted to know of some of those PC based blues songs. It sounded interesting since I thought that PC based blues was impossible.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2