Clear all

Practice

22 Posts
16 Users
0 Likes
(@chlozo)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

How long do you all practice a day? So I can get an average of how long I should practice a day.
Anyone know the strumming for American Idiot by the way?
I'm just curious, how to bands get the like, squeekyness and the sudden like sounds when they do a solo or something?

Thanks for all your helpp! :)

Billie-Joe Armstrong is HOT! He's my future husband. Ha ;)

geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

When I first started it was about 15 mins a day. I built up from there but not too fast so that I didnt end up hurting my hand, arm, wrist, etc. Now, it has been almost a year, I play any where from 15 mins to 2 or 3 hours a day.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I try to practice 30 minutes a day. That's what the guy I bought my guitar off of said to aim for.

ReplyQuote
(@ldavis04)
Reputable Member

wow...when i sit down and practice i have a plan to do it for an hour or so, and then when i think its time to stop and i look at the clock, its been between 4 - 5 hours.....and i wonder why "others" say i'm obsessive......

I may grow old, but I'll never grow up.

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

wow...when i sit down and practice i have a plan to do it for an hour or so, and then when i think its time to stop and i look at the clock, its been between 4 - 5 hours.....and i wonder why "others" say i'm obsessive......

I'm the same way. I go in for a purpose and a short period of an hour or two, but in reality it's usually like 4 to 5 hours a night. I usually get an indication that it's been long enough, when I find myself waking up and realizing I drooled all over the guitar and my wife is standing there laughing, with great anticipation as to how many more sways I perform before falling out of the chair and flat on my face on the floor.

I think my guitar preserving instincts take over. I will NOT fall out of the chair unless assisted.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@ghost)
Prominent Member

I think I'm a 30-45 min. person right now and I practice standing up. Last year around this time I was doing almost 3 hours with lots of breaks.

"If I had a time machine, I'd go back and tell me to practise that bloody guitar!" -Vic Lewis

Everything is 42..... again.

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

i practice 3 to 4 hours a day thru the week and 6 to 8 on weekends for over a little over a year now, 15 minutes a day is not going to get you where you wanna be.

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

I get AT LEASY 1 hour per night but most nights it's 2 1/2 hours. Somedays if I take my guitar to work I'll get another hour or so in the morning. Weekends and vacations it's NO LESS than 2 hours per day with many days in the 3-4 range...

Keep in mind that it's not always 3-4 hours in a row...I may break it up throughout the day.

As for the squeeking sound I think you mean when they change chords you hear the strings squeek. It happens a lot on acoustics but it can happen on an electric if you have your amp on a clean channel.

ReplyQuote
(@bennett)
Reputable Member

i practice 3 to 4 hours a day thru the week and 6 to 8 on weekends for over a little over a year now, 15 minutes a day is not going to get you where you wanna be.

That really depends on where it is you intend on being. ;)

I practice anywhere between 30' and 60' a night. But also trying to fit practice in with the harp as well. I rarely have time to do both in the same night. Then there's the life outside of guitar (job, family, property etc etc) and the other multitude of hobbies. :)

From little things big things grow - Paul Kelly

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

family has alot to do with it, i understand that, as far as other hobbies, a guitarist has to set goals, where am i now ?, where do i want to be a year from now?, how serious am i? you can be as good as you wan't to be, it takes practice,practice,practice 8)

ReplyQuote
(@bennett)
Reputable Member

family has alot to do with it, i understand that, as far as other hobbies, a guitarist has to set goals, where am i now ?, where do i want to be a year from now?, how serious am i? you can be as good as you wan't to be, it takes practice,practice,practice 8)

Yep, and that's exactly my point. Anyone can generally be great at anything; it really depends on the time and energy one puts into it. Some people might be simply awesome at one thing ... but that is probably all they're good at. And if that floats their boat then good for them.

Then there's others, like me, who want lots of variety but also understand that they will never be great at any one thing - Jack of all trades, Master of none. And that is just fine by me. 8)

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I don't really practice guitar, I just play it. I don't have anything planned out at all, I just play whatever comes into my head at the time.

This is probably not the best way to practice.

On busy days with no time, I probably practice an hour or two. On free days I might play all day long with breaks here and there.

My band has one scheduled practice each week. That is about 4 hours.

I probably don't practice correctly for best results, but this is the way I have always done it. I mostly practice playing songs I like. I like to get them as perfect as possible, so I might spend hours practicing just one song over and over. Warning- This will drive people around you nuts. :shock:

I like to practice lead guitar a lot. I just try to play melodies in my head. I imagine a rhythm track in the background and play along to that. I try to come up with creative ideas.

When I first started I was a total freak. I would start practicing as soon as I came home from work and practice till early in the morning. I too have woken up and realized I fell asleep while playing. :roll:

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

bennett,

all i'm saying is, if playing guitar is in your heart and soul, and you truly want to be good, 15 minutes of practice a day is not going to cut it, i am good at alot of different things,
but guitar, by far is more important to me than the rest , it's all about priorities, don't expect
to be great if your not willing to put the time in.

ReplyQuote
(@bennett)
Reputable Member

Rocker,

Totally agree with you mate. I guess your first post just came across to me a little like If you don't put in at least 3-4 hours a day then maybe you shouldn't be playing the guitar. ;)

It all depends, as you've mentioned, what your priorities are. It also depends on what your goals are. I just want to be able to enjoy the journey that learning the guitar provides. I don't expect to be giving up my day job to pursue a career in music.

I firmly believe that you get out what you put in. So we're really saying the same thing. I was just pointing out that if you are not aspiring to great things with guitar then 15' a day may be fine. 8)

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

bennett,

sorry if the first post hit you that way, i have freinds that have played for a year to 2 years more than me, and ask me " how do you do that?, how do i do this?, how did you get better than me, i"ve been playing longer than you", and i just simply ask them ", when do you practice, how long do you practice, and how do you practice?" and usually they answer there own questions, to me guitar is not a hobby but a way of life, i could not live in a world that had no guitars :twisted:

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2