Clear all

practising the timing of a song without the guitar

10 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@patrick)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

When learning a part of a song with difficult rhythm/timing, I often find myself practicing the timing without the guitar, by humming in time to a metronome, a keyboard drum beat, or my feet or hands tapping out the downbeat and upbeat ...at any time during the day or even when I'm trying to sleep. As slow as needed to get it right and automatic ...in much the same way that physically playing builds up muscle memory, this is like rhythmic memory.

So I'm wondering if others are weird enough to 'practice' at opportune moments during the day like tapping & humming in the shower, or if I need intervention :twisted:.

Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Me too! I move my fingers over the trousers or a bag when I am listening the bass part or I play a kind of "air strumming" trying to follow the pattern for the guitar part. Usually I do it while commuting.

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

I do the same thing LOL. I think you'll find you aren't as weird as you thought.

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

ReplyQuote
(@tornadoalley)

Or maybe you are, but so are we. So who cares?

I do this, too, but not very well. :roll:

"Whether you think you can or you can't, you're right..." - Stewie Griffin

ReplyQuote
 Crow
(@crow)
Honorable Member

The music doesn't stop just because you put the instrument down.

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream." - Frank Zappa

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

playing a song without the instrument...I call that internalizing. a great way to learn IMO.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Ever tried Beatboxing ? I do it all the time and now can play a lot of exotic percussion instruments without even touching a drumset. 8)

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

So I'm wondering if others are weird enough to 'practice' at opportune moments during the day like tapping & humming in the shower, or if I need intervention :twisted:.

You are not alone - I practice my tremolo every time I drum on the desk using p-a-m-i-p-a-m-i - listen to Recuerdos de la Alhambra for the full musical effect

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@1armbandit)
Estimable Member

I find myself strumming along on the steering wheel as I listen to tunes on my comute. Strange thing is that I strum with my left hand as if I'm holding a pick when I fret with my left hand when I'm playing.

Jack

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

I forgot mentioning that I play my custom made frooglepoopillion dollar air guitar whenever I am not playing the actual one. Works well for the fast Johnny Ramone type strums.

ReplyQuote