Notifications
Clear all

Problem reading tabs

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@doolittle)
Topic starter  

I have a question about reading guitar tabs. I mostly understand how to read them but there is one thing that I'm not sure what to do. When I come across a tab that looks somethin like this for example..
E|----------------------|
B|----------------------|
G|--10------9------7--|
D|----------------------|
A|---8------7------5-- |
E|----------------------|

I'm not really sure what to do. Are you supposed to ONLY play those two notes simultaneously? If so, how are you supposed to do that without hitting the other strings in between(The D string in this example)? Are you supposed to play the two notes using two different fingers like thumb and index or a pick and middle finger? I've tried doing this by hitting the higher note with my pick and hitting the lower one with like my middle finger and it just sounds bad. I've been playing about 2 months and so far I've only been using a pick. I haven't attempted any finger picking to much so it really feels awkward when i try that.
So what exactly are you supposed to do? Any help would be appreciated. :)

(@lee-n)
Estimable Member

I've tried doing this by hitting the higher note with my pick and hitting the lower one with like my middle finger

I'll take it you mean that the other way round :)

That's just octaves, it's a common technique. If you are using a pick then one method would be hybrid picking, like you describe above but play the low string with the pick and the higher one with the ring or middle finger.
The other method is hit across the strings and mute the other string with the left hand, listen to George Benson and you'll hear it done that way. Different techniques for very different sounds.

To be honest, youv'e been playing for two months, don't get disheartened with this, it's a fairly advanced technique, especially if muting.

ReplyQuote
(@doolittle)
Topic starter  

Yeah, that's what I meant. Playing the higher note with my middle or ring finger. I think the other way around would be kinda hard. When I typed that I was thinking lower as in lower to the ground not lower in pitch. It can be confusing sometimes! :cry:

I guess I had the right idea on how to do it, but I wanted to be sure. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

ReplyQuote
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

I would flatten the index finger when it is fretting 8 7 5 on the 5th string so that it mutes the 4th string - or you could use the middle finger to mute the 4th string

my 2cents

lars

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

ReplyQuote