Clear all

Problem with a lot of songs

47 Posts
12 Users
0 Reactions
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

The LP's get very muddy sounding.

Exershio: the LP's are probably the extreme from the strat and they are heavy and somewhat baulky, do have a look at other Gibson models (practically all have cheap copies available) as well as the offerings from Schecter, PRS, Ibanez, Godin, etc.

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Yes, the LP is terrible for open chords. Both muting and use of either partial or power chords is essential. But those power chords, ahhhhhhhhhh!

Maybe the Epiphone LP's are terrible but the Agile's are JUST fine. Now I will say that I use the V-Amp 2 so I can "clean" it up a bit. I usually don't use much distortion when I practice (usually ALWAY clean) and the open chords are CRYSTAL clear.
Erm, what exactly is an LP?Les Paul style guitar. Originally by Gibson, copied by Epiphone (owned by Gibson) and cloned by many others. Humbucker pickups with lots of tone and sustain

OK...Ya happy I plugged Agiles! :wink: :wink:
I'm not sure what happens if you add one of those modellers, you could probably get pretty close though.

I can get my LP to sound pretty close to the Tele sound with my V-Amp 2 AND GuitarPort if that's what you are talking about.

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

I can get my LP to sound pretty close to the Tele sound with my V-Amp 2 AND GuitarPort if that's what you are talking about.
Yes, that's what I meant, I think that's basically what Joe Forrock star does, only more expensively :) I can clean mine up with eq, but I don't like the way it sounds. If I had a modeller I imagine it'd be okay.
And when I say terrible I mean in relationship to the tele, even strats I find usually aren't as clean.

Steely Dan

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

In my opinion it is pretty much impossible to realistically model the sound of a tele using a humbucker guitar. If anyone can I'd love to hear a recording.

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Yes, the LP is terrible for open chords. Both muting and use of either partial or power chords is essential. But those power chords, ahhhhhhhhhh!

why is it terrible for open chords ?

Because they blend together and get muddy?

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

In my opinion it is pretty much impossible to realistically model the sound of a tele using a humbucker guitar. If anyone can I'd love to hear a recording.

Arjen,

With GuitarPort you can come close to the sound. You can download the tones for single coil or humbucker format.

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member

Your guitar is probably fine. I have a Fender Squier and it has great sustain. Check your pickups' hight, if too high it will pull hard on the strings and stop the strings from vibrating. Make sure you're fretting the note right!! How is the sustain on a open string? Use heavier strings 10's or 11's.

Also, What's the song? If it's distorted then maybe you need to adjust your amp or pedal settings.

ReplyQuote
(@exershio)
Topic starter  

The pickup is actually pretty high. I am fretting it right. The song is "Avenged Sevenfold - I Won't See You Tonight Part 1"

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member

I don't hear anything more then a couple of whole notes there. Are you playing it with distortion? How long can you get a open string to ring?

ReplyQuote
(@exershio)
Topic starter  

I'm playing it with distortion on the bridge pickup and it is just about completely faded away after 4 seconds (open high e string). By the way, judging by your avatar (if that's you), I'd say we have the same exact guitars (color is the same as well).

edit: Could it be the strings I'm using? I'm using the ones that came with the guitar. I'm not sure what kind they are though.

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

How long have you had the strings on there? Adjusting the strat will probably help, but I had a quick look at the band's photos, and all I'm seeing are humbucker equipped guitars including an SG, which is a close relative to the LP.

Steely Dan

ReplyQuote
(@exershio)
Topic starter  

I've had the strings on there for a month, 2 months tops (that's how long I've had the guitar), however, the strings are really easy to push down, much easier than my acoustic, but that's probably just because it's an electric guitar, but I'm not sure.

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Hey Exershio,

I don't know how long you've been playing or practicing the song(s), but I don't think that a new/different guitar will necessarily cure your problem.

Perhaps just practice, practice and more practice will cure your troubles? I'm just guessing though. Maybe your technique is off a bit, or you just don't have the muscle memory locked in or the timing nuance still escapes you a bit?

I'm finding that some of the intricacies of these songs can be frustrating to get just right. And when I find that I'm getting frustrated, I ask myself, am I trying to practice to be in a cover band? Not that I don't appreciate the subtlties of the song and I do want to strive for perfection but I have to remember the original artist played it thousands and thousands of times before I even heard it.

So I tell myself, when I don't bend that note just right or sustain it long enough, its OK to make the song MINE. There are a number of places for instance in "Wish you were here" I just can't nail yet. In the mean time I put a lil of myself in it. People still know what song I'm playing but I don't fret over the fact that I don't hit it perfect.... YET!! Its OK.

Example of what I mean. The band 311 currently has a "Cure" cover on the radio. Now I'm an avid Cure fan, and they don't hit it perfect, hell some of the tone and effects aren't like the original but they the song "Theirs" and its OK I still love the song. But thats just me.

I don't think another gizmo or accessory or effect or guitar for that matter can replace just good ol Practice.

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member

Take the guitar and have someone else play it. Maybe they will find a problem with it, but I doubt it. I believe your problem is an amp or pedal setting, possible too light of strings or technique.

Yes that is my Squier, it has 10's on it. If I crank the saturation up on the amp(overdrive/distortion) then I can get probably 45 seconds out of an open note. My shredder USA Jackson with 9's is only maybe a second or two less in sustain.

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

Well the quickest way to localize the problem, is go to the guitar store and try out a variety of amps and guitars.

Steely Dan

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 4