6 Users
0 Likes
(@hello)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I'm having some problems with the A major chord, i play it like this:

E A D G B E
X O 1 2 3 O

The problem is that i find it very hard to miss the low E string when i'm strumming, so i like to damp the lower E string, but when i do this the palm of my hand touches the high E...

I can play it properly bij positioning my thumb on the back of the neck. Should i practice missing the string when i'm strumming or is there some neat trick to so i don't damp the high E with my palm when i'm damping the lower E with my thumb?

(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Here's a couple different ways I would do this, which depends on variables. Like whats being played, where I'm going coming into it and were I'm going after, and whats being along with the it. (Voicings)

x|---|---|---|---|---|---
-|---|--1|---|---|---|---
0|---|---|---|---|---|---
x|---|--T|---|---|---|---

x|---|---|---|---|---|---
-|---|--2|---|---|---|---
-|---|--2|---|---|---|---
0|---|---|---|---|---|---
-|---|--T|---|---|---|---

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@lotto-king)
Prominent Member

I m yet to find any neat tricks to playing the guitar , just plain old practise , practise and then practise

Aghhhh

Not only am I a senior citizen

I'm now a bloody senior member

Are you people trying to tell me I'm old or what ?

over 700 posts ( I really do need to get out more )

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

I'd arch my fingers more. I have the same problem with chords that use the thumb to mute the low E.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
 sirN
(@sirn)
Reputable Member

I'd just continue practicing to 'miss' it. It'll come eventually. If your thumb can reach far enough to dampen it, then fine. But I really don't see many guitarists bother with it since eventually they can nail the strings they want to. Practice.

check out my website for good recording/playing info

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I would work at just not hitting the low E.
As you progress you will have plenty of other chords and partial chords to play where you have to strum only certain strings.
You may as well get used to it now.
As for the Amaj chord, don't worry too much if you do hit the low E on occasion. E is part of the chord and it will still sound good.

ReplyQuote
(@hello)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the replies guys!

I practiced all day today and i'm finally getting the hang of it...if i move my hand in a certain way i can play it without muting the wrong strings. Only problem now is speed, but that will come with more practice.

On second thought, that's not the only problem, the joint in my thumb is hurting like crazy now...is this a sign of bad technique? Or is it a beginner thing and will it eventually go away?

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Don't ignore pain! Unless it's your finger tips! Stop and stretch it out.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote