Notifications
Clear all

Problems with the F chord

22 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
(@deanobeano)
Reputable Member

try putting your thumb right behind your fist finger so u can get more pressure. Learning the full barre is good but if u no both then u will b a better player for it !

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I use the partial-full-barre-chord. I put my index finger over the first 3 or 4 strings - the G and D strings are covered by your other fingers. I find it easier to get the pressure to fret the B and E strings from the pad nearest to the knuckle rather than the first joint.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@fractalsphere)

One trick is not to use the squishy pad of your index finger but to roll the finger ever so slightly so that the strings are being pressed by the edge of your index finger (thumb side).
Now THAT is good advice. I've been having the same issues trying to get the top two strings to sound true when strumming.

And you've made me want to leave work and try it! :roll:

Rich

ReplyQuote
(@gizzy)
Estimable Member

I use both ways, Yes you can make more chords with your index finger, but you can use your thumb for certain songs as well, for me it has been good to know both. :D

ReplyQuote
(@axeslasher)
Trusted Member

There are absolutely chord formations that work 'Thumb On' for the bass strings. For example, make a standard "D" chord and use your thumb on the 6th string 2nd fret. Nice sound, though I can't remember what it's called (used also with an A the same way in "Fake Plastic Trees" by Radiohead). Probably... D/F# and A/F#.

The key is not to never use your thumb. The key is to use your thumb when necessary and to learn to make chords that don't require a thumb "properly" rather than using it as a crutch.

"Sometimes you want to give up the guitar, you'll hate the guitar. But if you stick with it, you're gonna be rewarded." - Jimi Hendrix

ReplyQuote
(@danabis)
Trusted Member

i just learned how to do the barre version of the F chord and i found that it was easiest to create a normal E chord and move it one fret and then strum to make sure you have that part sounding right. after that try barring the first fret with you index finger and then strum again to see if it is correct. keeps moving your fingers around and using different amounts of pressure on your index finger. it really takes some work but you'll be happy when you get it because like many have said you can move these chords around to create different ones all over the fret board

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I use the partial so I can hammer on from open.

I also think learning to wrap the thumb is important. I use it frequently by choice. It's just another tool in the drawer.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2