Notifications
Clear all

Proper Pick Grip Inconsistent In Research Results

21 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@asasmith)
Eminent Member

thats basically how i learned. the pointer curled like a hook ( pointing back at your wrist) and the thumb layed across pointing the opposite way. ive been using the rounded side of a teardrop pick. i swear i can hear a difference. my instructor didnt like it but he didnt tell me to change. he also told me to hit the string with the pick on an angle which is new. i have to hold my whole arm a little different to get the right wrist angle. also i use an open hand as opposed to the closed but ive seen both ways

"its supposed to be pickin and grinnin. NOT pickin and scowlin"
-the feez

ReplyQuote
(@mmoncur)
Estimable Member

Redbeard:

He has me resting the 2nd knuckle (towards the fingernail) of my right pinky in between the 1st and second strings to anchor my right hand in place.

That's bizarre, and while I'd say there are at least 5 different "right" ways to hold a pick, that sounds like a very wrong way to anchor your fingers. You mean your finger is resting on the actual strings?

Anchoring is an even more controversial issue than pick grip or left thumb position - lots of people believe there's a single right thing to do and none of them agree - but this is one I've never heard before. Most people anchor on the bridge or near it with the palm, or maybe anchor the pinky on the pickguard below the strings. Keeping the pinky touching strings sounds painful and will make some fun noises when you're hooked to a loud amp...

Either way doesnt feel like its the right way...

After only three lessons, I can guarantee that nothing's going to feel "right" for a long time. Try to avoid the temptation to keep buying guitars until you find one that feels right...

ReplyQuote
(@redbeard)
Trusted Member

Redbeard:

He has me resting the 2nd knuckle (towards the fingernail) of my right pinky in between the 1st and second strings to anchor my right hand in place.

That's bizarre, and while I'd say there are at least 5 different "right" ways to hold a pick, that sounds like a very wrong way to anchor your fingers. You mean your finger is resting on the actual strings?

Yes, he has me resting that knuckle between the two strings (so basically my pinky is touching the 1st + 2nd string). It is possible that this is just an intermediary step, were going to talk about hitting strings 1 and 2 next week I guess so I dont know what will change. But basically he has me resting my knuckle there and plucking strings 3-6 with my palm kind of hovering in case I need to do muting. I dont know. He contrasted the style with players who play with an open hand and said that those players dont really have any way to tell where there hand is in relationship to the guitar because theyre just all over the place. He also believes that a curled hand is a more relaxed position than a hand that is open (which is true, curling your fingers is more natural than fully extending them and takes less effort).
Either way doesnt feel like its the right way...

After only three lessons, I can guarantee that nothing's going to feel "right" for a long time. Try to avoid the temptation to keep buying guitars until you find one that feels right...

Yeah i dont blame the equipment at all. I really like my guitar. I just meant that either way I try to hold the pick to get the results i think he wants doesnt feel right. Either my index finger + thumb slide out of position or I have to turn my wrist.

I appreciate your thoughts on the matter.

"I just curse the sun so I can howl at the moon" ~QOTSA

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Hi Redbeard,

I wonder if he's working you towards a bridge-rest type of thing. I never liked that. To each their own. I use my rest point as my pinky below the strings where I'm playing, which is normally up near the neck pick-up.

I looked at You Tube and too many people push anything that isn't how they do is as being wrong. The user community can be so frustrating.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@mmoncur)
Estimable Member

Redbeard,

Holding my pinky knuckle on strings 1+2 feels very odd to me. I used to anchor using a pinky below the strings like rparker said - now I tend to use the bridge but to each his own. Either way will allow you to use all six strings without changing your hand position, which seems very important to me. Pinky-on-strings is certainly a different approach, and I do hope it's only temporary. You should ask your teacher about that.

ReplyQuote
(@redbeard)
Trusted Member

Definitely frustrating that there isnt one right way to do things, but i guess its nice in a way since that "right way" might not feel good to you.

Ill let you guys know what happens after Monday night (my next lesson)!

"I just curse the sun so I can howl at the moon" ~QOTSA

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2