Notifications
Clear all

proper pull-off technique

6 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@dd316)
Topic starter  

Hi, I'm a new member here, but I've been lurking for some time now. I've been playing for about 8 months now, and progressing fairly well I believe. I've been trying to improve my techniques recently, since I've been pretty much practicing only chords for the entire 8 months.

I understand when performing a pull-off that you should try lifting your finger in a downward motion so that the note rings. I have a hard time doing that without ringing the string below it. For example, doing a 7p5 on the 2nd string, I'll usually end up ringing the open 1st string. I usually just mute the 1st string with my right hand while I practice. Just wondering if that's something that will just come with practice or does everyone usually do this?

Oh, and a side question, usually when I change chords, my thumb is always behind the neck and I find it very uncomfortable when it is over the neck. But it's usually all over the place, pointing up, pointing towards the headstock, on it's side, it all depends on the chord. I'm fairly paranoid about teaching myself bad form cause I don't want to relearn things again later down the road. Is this something that I should worry about?

Thanks a lot!

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

as for pull-offs, if i'm pulling off with my ring to my index, for instance... i'll mute the higher string with my index by not arching it, but letting it sit there kinda lazy and resting on the higher string

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

I wouldn't worry about the thumb. As log as you can sound the chord clean your good to go.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@iliketheguitar)
Estimable Member

I'd say that as long as you are not sounding a note that you don't want to, whatever you do is fine. If you practice enough you will eventually get it without having even having to worry about muting the bottom string.

ReplyQuote
(@smcclure)
Trusted Member

I understand when performing a pull-off that you should try lifting your finger in a downward motion so that the note rings. I have a hard time doing that without ringing the string below it. For example, doing a 7p5 on the 2nd string, I'll usually end up ringing the open 1st string. I usually just mute the 1st string with my right hand while I practice. Just wondering if that's something that will just come with practice or does everyone usually do this?

According to my teacher you don't actually lift up but pull to the side. There is no way to play another string that way but you definitely mute it.

____
Steve

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

sm,

that's correct pull offs aren't done by lifting your finger off the fret you pull the string as you release

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote