Clear all

Proper seat and my back

28 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I put this in Beginner's Q&A because I am a beginner, and I know you experienced guys must have encountered this.

The chair I am using, and the way I am holding my guitars is wreaking havoc on my back, not to mention affecting how I am playing. That is, I know the position of the guitar is making it difficult to form some chords properly.

The chair I am currently using is a padded office-type/computer desk chair with arms. The arms are in the way such that I have to sit almost on the edge and turn to the left so the body of the guitar clears the right arm (which rarely happens). Then I do not have free movement of my fretting arm and the neck. I know this is bad, bad, bad and most likely hindering my progress.

The back part is that I also need to use a strap when sitting in this chair to hold the guitar somewhat correctly (emphasis on "somewhat"). But it's killing my back. I experience spasms and cramps in my right side mid-back about where the ribs are. I went for 5 days this week without playing, for reasons that are neither here nor there. In those 5 days, not a hint of a cramp. Last night after one hour of playing, if you could call it that fighting to hold the guitar properly, my back gave me the Mother of All Spasms. I've tried standing and using a metal stand for my sheets, and it works for a while. But it's probably a lot different than moving around on stage.

OK, getting past all that, what kind of seat do you all use or recommend? Will a folding metal chair do? How about the type of padded stool found in a doctor's office? A wooden barstool, and what height? Something like these...

I have one like the wooden one above, but it's height is probably about 28-30" (it just fits under the desk to store it). I've used it but it seems a bit high. I can rest my foot on the lower rung.

Thanks for any advice. :wink:

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

chairs with arms never work unless your sit so far forward you get a dent in the behind crossing the one we were born with.
high runged stools don't work very well either. finding the right rung for the foot isn't possible and you end up balancing too much.
the stool isn't bad. I use a drum throne. I got when I gigged with my lap steel. worked great as I could adjust the height.

we've all done it...sitting on our beds. I end up bending over the top of the guitar so much I feel like a hunchback when I stand back up.

what's ideal? armless office stool, drum throne or ladder back /armless wooden chair. any of those would work.

if I were you I would alternate my playing with standing and sitting.

another thing is to get one of those velcro wrappers for your waist. some have a pocket for an ice pack. wrapping that around your waist when playing will help immensely.

and lastly, starting doing sit ups. strengthen those abs cause they help support the back.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

There's no doubt your current seat is causing your issues. I go through a similar situation when sitting on my couch. (My right arm goes numb for some reason) There are guitar stools on the market 24" and 30" for $90+. Outside of getting a new stool, I would suggest learning how to play while standing. It will help you with your posture and help you to hold the guitar, maintain proper space between your elbow and body- keep fingertips on the fingerboard at the correct angle.
That is unless you sling the guitar down to your ankles- then everything goes down the tubes from there.

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@acousticfish)
Trusted Member

I've had issues with my back also and I find that using a stool or something with no back causes that pain. At lessons I use a typical wooded chair, no arms but with a back and I sit all the way back so my back is supported by it and I do the same at home when possible.

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

chairs with arms never work unless your sit so far forward you get a dent in the behind crossing the one we were born with.
high runged stools don't work very well either. finding the right rung for the foot isn't possible and you end up balancing too much.
the stool isn't bad. I use a drum throne. I got when I gigged with my lap steel. worked great as I could adjust the height.

we've all done it...sitting on our beds. I end up bending over the top of the guitar so much I feel like a hunchback when I stand back up.

what's ideal? armless office stool, drum throne or ladder back /armless wooden chair. any of those would work.

if I were you I would alternate my playing with standing and sitting.

another thing is to get one of those velcro wrappers for your waist. some have a pocket for an ice pack. wrapping that around your waist when playing will help immensely.

and lastly, starting doing sit ups. strengthen those abs cause they help support the back.

Yes, last night I felt like Quasimodo. I had to freeze while my back did it's thing of cramping, uncramping, teasing me and cramping again.

A drum throne you say! Good idea. I'm not wild about the idea of a rolling stool. I just looked up drum thrones at Guitar Center.com They look do-able. There's a GC near my job. Road trip! :D

I'm going to start standing more, and work more on my core. I haven't been doing squats or deadlifts in a while because of my back. Time to start again. They strengthen the core also. Thanks for the tips.

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Thanks guys. I knew it was the chair... I just didn't know what's a good option. I'm going to have to start using my metal stand to hold my sheets, to keep me from leaning forward when I have them on the desk. I have a copy holder I set on the desk, but that doesn't cut it either, as I can't get close enough. Standing does feel good; my arms are too short to have the guitar slung low. I have to have the guitars (electric, 6 string or 12 string acoustics) practically under my armpit! :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Not that I get down to Monmouth County that often but I should look you up so we can jam a bit. After all, we are practically neighbors!!

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Hey yeah! :D

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

If I sit it's either on the couch or a kitchen chair without arms and occasionally I do get uncomfortable but fo the most part it's OK.

But if you haven't spent alot of time standing while playing I would do that as much as you can it'll help the back situation and also get you used to playing they way you really woul dif you were going to play out.

I know for me playing standing up was a BIG adjustment when I first tried it. I probably went a year or so always playing sitting down and when I stood up and tried to play it felt liek I had to learn everything all over again.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I guess it's a common thing to always sit down while playing and practicing. I've played standing, and it is a different feeling. I seem to have more control of the guitar(s). I look cool too. :D

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

when sitting in a wooden chair make sure to jam your butt and back all the way back.that way your lower lumbar area is snugged in. it feels secure all tucked in like that. soon you will notice your body relaxing.
it takes some adjustment time to play that way, but it works.
some drum thrones have a short back. that could be a plus for you. an advantage with a throne is the height is adjustable.
having the right knee bend is crucial when the guitar is resting on it.

and ice pack will be your best friend before and after a practice session.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

some drum thrones have a short back. that could be a plus for you. an advantage with a throne is the height is adjustable.
having the right knee bend is crucial when the guitar is resting on it.

and ice pack will be your best friend before and after a practice session.

I'm thinking of a throne with a back. I'm not going to order anything off the 'net. I'm going to actually go to a shop or three and see what's offered and test drive (or is that test sit? :lol:), even with a guitar or two.

The knee height issue and seat adjustability is important because I am short... 5'5". I need to be sitting fairly low to get that comfortable bend in my knee. In my lessons we had just a straight-backed padded chair. I still had to raise my heel and rest it against the chair leg. So did my teacher... another Hobbit-sized guy.

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Guy in the church band just got something like this:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Throne?utm_medium=shoppingengine&utm_source=nextag&cvsfa=1457&cvsfe=6&cvsfp=Throne

I'd think a drum throne with a back rest would be a good choice.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

...I look cool too... :D

Guitars are great..heh??

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Hi,

Good move getting a decent chair. Among others, I have one of those ergonomically adjustable office chairs that allow you to adjust the height and various angles, and I just removed the arms.

The key aspect is not really the chair itself but your posture on it. You can sit in a good or bad position on just about any surface (provided it's the right height) - but some chairs will perhaps do a better job of 'prompting' you to sit correctly. I learned this the hard way with the chair I was using at the computer. I had done some minor damage to a shoulder whilst swimming and it just wouldn't seem to get back to normal. I had 18 months of shoulder pain and had resigned myself to the probability that it would be permanent from then on, like various other aches and pains that you acquire as you get older. However, I then bought a new chair for the computer. Nothing flashy but it was adjustable and made me rethink my posture when I worked at the desk. Within two weeks all the pain had gone! The bad posture had simply been preventing the natural healing and realigning from taking place, and when I corrected it the problem fixed itself. After that length of time I was probably lucky that I hadn't screwed it up more permanently.

Good luck with a new chair - but don't forget that the work of sitting properly is still down to the sitter. And, as Dogbite sagely advises, a bit of general and middle body fitness helps too. :)

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2