Pull off problems!

11 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@incognito167)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hi everyone,

I've been playing electric for about 3 months now and am starting to tackle hammer ons and pull offs.

My problems is that when i perform my pull offs i end up catching, and sounding, the string directly below it. So if i was pulling off a note on the D string i always end up flicking the the G string too.

Now is this just something that will improve with practice as my hand strength increases and consequently use less hand/finger movement to do a pull off, or am i doing something technically wrong?

All advice is very much welcome.

Mart

(@theredd)
Trusted Member

I'd be interested in the answer, I've been having the same problem.

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Without being able to see you, it's kind of hard to say if you're doing anything drastically, technically wrong.

That being said, more times than not beginners are developing their finger strength for pull-offs only when they start performing them. Usually at this begining phase, the pull-offs are a bit exaggerated in order to perform them (remember your first hammer-ons or how about the "pressure" you needed to fret your first chord?). As you develop the strength in your fingers, not to mention your confidence in performing pull-offs, you should find yourself making shorter and cleaner movements.

To help, some folks find a variation of the old "one-finger-one-fret" exercise to be good practice. Pick a middle string, like the D or G and place your pinky on the fourth fret and your ring finger on the third fret. Now pull-off with the pinky while keeping the ring finger in place. Because the pinky is smaller, you should be able to minimize the pull-off movement and not grab the G string with some concentrated practice. Now move to the ring and middle fingers, and then the middle and index finger before finishing with the index finger to the open string. The "acid test" will be pulling off on all four fingers in sequence.

This will take time and patience, but if you concentrate on it and if you have gotten your finger strength up to an adequate level (not to mention your sensitivity to just how much strength is needed), it will come faster than you know. Then your job will be to explain it to the next person who wants to know how to do this! :wink:

Good luck and keep up posted on your progress.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Adding to David's very good exercise suggestion:

(This is now so automatic, I had to play a few pull offs to see what I do.)

For single line (note) work, I automatically mute the lower adjacent string to keep it from ringing out, as my fairly strong pull-off finger definitely brushes it a bit. Example: Play an E note on the D string at second fret using your index finger. Now hammer on an F# with your ring finger (D string, fourth fret) and pull off back to the E. Are you sounding the G string? Then try slightly flattening your index finger's angle of incidence on the E note to lightly touch (but not fret) the G string. This should damp/mute the G string to keep it from sounding.

If you are hammering onto an open string you won't have your index (or other finger) at the ready to damp/mute the next string. But that string can still be damped by light touching with any available finger on either the fretting or picking hand.

Pulling off while chording can be more difficult as muting may not be possible for an adjacent string already sounding a note. That takes more careful technique from the pull off finger, including shorter stroke that immediately moves up and off the fretboard and more string "grabbiness" by the pull off finger. That grabbiness will get better and easier as your callouses develop.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@jeffster1)
Reputable Member

I do just what gnease does, I find I mute the adjacent strings with my fretting hand. Muting surrounding strings is a skill that comes with time, but I think it's one of the most important concepts around the intermediate to advanced levels. It makes the difference between sloppy and clean leads. I usually try to mute adjacent strings always with either my fretting hand or my picking hand, depending on the situation.

ReplyQuote
(@incognito167)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for your help guys.

Think i need just put the hours in, and there's no time like the present!

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

That's the right attitude; good luck with it.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@denny)
Reputable Member

Pulling off while chording can be more difficult as muting may not be possible for an adjacent string already sounding a note. That takes more careful technique from the pull off finger, including shorter stroke that immediately moves up and off the fretboard and more string "grabbiness" by the pull off finger. That grabbiness will get better and easier as your callouses develop.

+1

Denny

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

Use a set of .008's and relearn your techniques... :?

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
(@ness-k)
Estimable Member

I have the same problem, but to a lesser extent, so you really can't hear the string below it.

"The Beauty of Music is my Sanity. Without it, I would simply lose my gravity, and blow away with the breeze." - Ness K(Aka Matt Harris)

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Use a set of .008's and relearn your techniques... :?

Cat

Won't that be too light ?

ReplyQuote