Clear all

Pulling down on the neck too much?

9 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@redpoint)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I've got a dumb question. When I'm fretting the chords on my guitar and strumming, I feel like I'm pulling the neck down with my left hand, almost, but my right arm is resting on top of the guitar so it feels like I am stressing the neck in one direction. Maybe this is due in part to the fact that my left thumb extends above the neck?

Is this a common thing, a weird thing, or a bad thing?

(@redpoint)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Please ignore this... I think I figured it out. It has to do with whether I'm leaning over the guitar or not :) If I am leaning over the guitar, then it definitely is stressing the neck, since it's being held in 3 places, the neck, the upper part of the bout, and the lower bout.

But if I sit up straight, no big deal, since it's only being held on the neck and at the lower bout, it can move with my playing.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Now, finally, you've listened to what both your mother AND your teacher told you. Good lad. :D

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@redpoint)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

And it has the added benefit I'm not going to snap my guitar in half :)

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Ahhhh.. I was gonna make a comment about pulling on necks.... and something bout using the thumb too... but I'm trying to restrain myself.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

sorry Its a Monday and I'm trying to lighten my day up a lil bit.

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

sheesh... tough crowd... :( :?

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Of course, it's also nice to know that whenever you stress the neck you're changing the guitar's tuning. Generations of players have pressed back on the upper bout and pushed forward on the neck to "dive bomb" a guitar without a "trem" bridge.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@redpoint)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Dive bomb a guitar? I don't get it. :)

edit - oh, i have googled it and i see it means something :)

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Yep. Making the pitch of all the strings bend down at once, as with a "tremolo" (vibrato, really) bridge. It is possible to break a guitar if you get too vigorous doing it the way I mentioned above, especially a flimsy one like an old Masonite Danelectro. I know several people who've had a guitar "explode" in their hands.
:shock:

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote