Clear all

question

16 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
 ct22
(@ct22)
Topic starter  

Should i learn as much chords as i can even though i'm not able to switch between chords normally or concentrate more on basic chords for now and learn to switch chord to chord normally

???

(@bennett)
Reputable Member

My advice as a fellow n00b would be to learn just a few chords (ie. major ones) but learn them well. I think learning to fret them cleanly and being able to change quickly is better than knowing a heap of chords but not being able to use them effectively.

There are literally thousands of songs out there that use a few major chords so you won't get bored. Also you are likely to remember the chords better including the theory behind them.

My two bobs worth. :)

From little things big things grow - Paul Kelly

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Both.

Yes, you should learn all the “basic” chords first, but then again, they will all be basic before you know it.

With the basic chords you learn, find other chords that go together with them. It's all about experimenting.

Have fun,
Mike

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Ct, I'd learn as many as you can. Make sure you have them memorized though. This way, you can get the muscle memory down while your not really paying attention, or if you want, when you are. If you can memorize the fingerings, learn as many as you can.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
 ct22
(@ct22)
Topic starter  

I know basic chords C, A, Aminor, G,E, Eminor, D been at it for 2 weeks hopefully doesnt take long, very axious to start playing and join a band...get the ball rolling

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I'd concentrate on the open chords. Learn to change between chords. I have an exercise that I use. If I want to improve my C chord, for example, I play a sequence -C, A, C, B7, C, D, C, E, C, F, C, G and back to the start. It's important to realise that you're not playing music, you're doing an exercise, so if you need to stay on one chord a little longer, it's fine.
Before changing from one chord to another, picture the finger placement of the new chord, in your mind's eye, whilst continuing to strum the old chord. Once you have the new one firmly pictured, make the change.

The B7 is in there, because there is no simple open B chord (that I know of anyway)

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
 ct22
(@ct22)
Topic starter  

I know basic chords C, A, Aminor, G,E, Eminor, D been at it for 2 weeks hopefully doesnt take long, very axious to start playing and join a band...get the ball rolling

whats fingerings?

ReplyQuote
(@bennett)
Reputable Member

whats fingerings?

Fingerings are the combination of fingers you use to form a particular chord. Most chords have multiple fingerings.

For example, the G chord could be fingered with index, middle and ring, or middle, ring and pinky.

From little things big things grow - Paul Kelly

ReplyQuote
 ct22
(@ct22)
Topic starter  

Prob this week i'll learn as many chords i was given in my book, my teacher circled all chords mainly used in pop music so i'll be able to remember then within the week or less and i'll continue practicing changing chords doesnt seem to easy for now prob because started 2 weeks ago

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

The chords you listed is a very good start,
I would add the Dminor XX0231
and a couple of 7th chords
G7 320001
D7 XX0212
A7 X02020
A bit harder but nice to have
B7 X21202 (it can be used as a passable substitute for other B chords until you are able to get your barre technic down)

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

One of the things I've done when I've memorized the fingerings of the chords and amy time I learn a new chord would be to, (and I'll do this lying on the bed completely relaxed), is to just go through the fingerings of different chords, not playing them or strumming with my right hand.

For instance, I'll go from A to E to G to C to A to D to G etc. Just moving my fretting had and seeing/practicing if I can hit the correct string in the correct position.

This helped me alot when I was first starting out.

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

not playing them or strumming with my right hand.

Good exercise, but you don't know if you fretted them properly without strumming them.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

The way I did it was played CAGED.
I would play all the chords in that order so I knew which one was which instead of a random order.
Of course I would mix in minor chords like C,Am,G, Em, Dm,or 7ths ect..
Any extra chords like F or B7 would go at the end.
Some of the chords I learned as I needed them for a specific song.

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

not playing them or strumming with my right hand.

Good exercise, but you don't know if you fretted them properly without strumming them.

True but I did this excercise when I didn't want to disturb anyone. For the first few months I had my guitar in my hands all the time.. well almost <wink.

Once I got comfortable with the new chord(s) I started to practice alot, I still do this when I learn a new chord.

I figure one needs to form the chord a few hundred times over a few days in order to really GET IT... and one could do this and not worry bout playing or bugging the rest of the family, let alone the dog.

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@matteo)
Honorable Member

i would stick in learning a few open chords (E, A, D, G and their minors) which are essentials to play thousands of songs, also I would try to learn properly a few strummin patterns.

If I can suggest you a few ones, I would try to master the following ones, expressed in term of beats, which, even if quite simple, could be helpful to play a lot of songs:

B D B D (simple country/ traditional songs)

B DU B D (same as before)

D du D du (most slow songs could be played with this strum even if in a simplified way)

D du du du

D du u du (folk-strum used in a ton of songs!)

Let me know!

Matteo

n.b. B = play bass note only

D = one quarter downstrum

u, d= one eight upstrum/downstrum

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2