Notifications
Clear all

Question about a newly strung guitar

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@andyd1)
Topic starter  

Hey guys. I just have a question. Someone helped with re stringing my guitar but I'm wondering if it was done properly. Chances are that my issues have more to do with the fact that I'm just starting to learn but I want to be sure...

I feel like E and A are too close - won't matter?

B and G touch other the other holders - won't matter?

Just want to be sure because I'm having trouble with A and G in controlling the buzzing. Like I said, probably all me but for peace of mind I'm making sure :) When I see images online of other guitars, I don't really see the strings as close or touching as they are with mine

(@alangreen)

The E, B and G strings have been wound round the tuning posts the wrong way, which is why your G string is touching the B string tuning post. Routinely, strings come up the middle and fan out, which is what allows you to turn the top three machine heads the same direction as the lower three and still get an increase in pitch.

clickety click for a good photo

Does it screw up your sound? Probably not, because the vibrating length of the string is from the bridge to the nut, not to the tuners.

How to change it - unwind your string and keep turning the head the same way whilst holding it in place on the inside of the tuning post.

E and A string - do they both go through their individual slots in the nut? If so, then there's no issue.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

What he said...(^)

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

Yup, Alan has it right. Also some guitars with small headstocks have the E,A,D strings REAL close to each other, or the posts. My Resonator is like that. Kinda the nature of the beast realy. If you have a small headstock there is only so much room for the strings to run.

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

If you want an easy way to get the string direction right, you always turn the tuning pegs counterclockwise to tighten the strings. Doing that will guarantee they go in the right direction, regardless of the tuner arrangement (3+3, straight 6, or any other layout)

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote