Clear all

Question about picks

11 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@jcjxxl)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I've been doing a little bit of reading on picks lately and was curious about the difference between Celluoid and Polycarbonate? Is one better than the other? What are the differences between the two?

Thanks.

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

The dreaded hand of the mods has come to remove this post.

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

I think jason is having some issues right now, don't pay any attention to him. These are the picks I like using right now :
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Clayton-Acetal-Standard-Picks?sku=110419
I don't ever drop them, they last for a while and they"sound" good.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

I found this in a previous thread. Thislink talks about the various materials used to make picks.
It looks like Tortex, Delrex and Delrin are the same material. Although, Dunlop's Delrin Picks are polished to a shiny finish. But you can find Delrin picks made by other companys that are exactly like Tortex.

http://www.americanguitarinstitute.com/pick.htm
Hope that helps.
Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

I like the tortex myself, but I'd suggest you try out different types and different thicknesses until you find one that suits you. And you may find your preferences change over time as well. I know mine have. It's all in the eye of the beholder, I think.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

The dreaded hand of the mods has come to remove this post.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

honestly, though, i once heard that certain cellulose pick will spontaneously burst into flame on occasion. what exactly do i have to do to get this effect? i figure it would be a really really cool way to end a solo.

ReplyQuote
(@jcjxxl)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Good informative links from everyone. Thanks.

Special thanks to Jason for the * warning *. Definitely a situation I'd like to avoid. :)

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

I found this in a previous thread. Thislink talks about the various materials used to make picks.
It looks like Tortex, Delrex and Delrin are the same material. Although, Dunlop's Delrin Picks are polished to a shiny finish. But you can find Delrin picks made by other companys that are exactly like Tortex.

http://www.americanguitarinstitute.com/pick.htm

Good info.

Anyone have an idea of what material is used in the Dunlop "Ultex" (aka Clayton "Ultem") synthetic tortoise shell picks?

I know they're all plastic of some sort or another, but that's the blend used for these?

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

I know they're all plastic of some sort or another, but that's the blend used for these?

Well, most of them are. However, there are lots of players who use things like turtle shell, metal, bone, polycarbonate, etc.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Well, most of them are. However, there are lots of players who use things like turtle shell, metal, bone, polycarbonate, etc.
I meant "all" of the materials referenced in that link, other than the metal. Delrin, tortex, cellulloid, lexan, etc. Polycarbonate is a plastic, too, btw.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote