Clear all

question about your fingers....

16 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@slickschoppers)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

ok, I searched but cannot find the exact question or an answer that relates. although I'm sure it has been asked.

I have been learning for about a month now. when I first started my fingers were really sore but now I have some calous going and the finger tips really don't hurt much at all.

MY problem isn't pain related. it is DENTING... the tips of my fingers will dent in so far that it is near impossible for me to press the 1st or 2nd string with my index finger on the first fret. the dent is deep enough that the string is smaller than the dent.. if that makes sense.

simple question...

does the finger denting get better (as in go away) the more you play? did any of you have this problem when you first started where your fingers no longer really got sore, but just dented after around 10 minutes?

(@steph)
Eminent Member

It happened to me as well when I started out on my classical guitar. The dents even stayed for more than an hour after playing sometimes.
Fortunately this is indeed a temporary problem, caused by using too much pressure on each string combined with skin not used to this abuse. When you start out it is easy to use excessive pressure on each string to prevent a few of them from muting accidentally. After you have been playing for a while you will figure out the best way to place your fingers so you need to use less force and also you learn to only use more force on only the strings that need it instead of on all of them.
Nothing to worry about, it will come naturally.

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

I get grooves, but not that deep. I vaguely recall it being worse when building up my callouses though (long time ago ;)), so maybe yours are still a little early in their development?

Also, how hard are you squeezing? Ideally it should be just enough to fret the string and no more, but I remember how difficult that was to do... and I'm still too heavy-handed myself unless I really concentrate. Never a better time to learn to play lightly though, than early on ;)

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

I have the same problem.
I just started 3 months ago and after a while the finger is so dented that if I press harder it hits a neighboring string causing buzz.
I'm hoping this will go away.
Are calluses going to build up to prevent this from happening in the future?
How long is this "phenomenon" going to last?

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@clideguitar)
Reputable Member

Use a nail file to smooth out those bumps/ridges. I may be sick but I started using sandpaper, when I used a nail file they were too smooth. Sandpaper makes the finger tips stick better...... don't use your other fingers to pick at them.

Bob Jessie

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

No bumps.
Just the opposite.
Indentations.
(Can't use a file to file something that's not there.)
I need something to fill the "hole" :shock:
I got groovy fingers syndrom?

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@clideguitar)
Reputable Member

Understood! If you use a nail file to smooth the finger tips out there should be no indentation. I remember the same thing happening to me, it was impossible to get the "B" or high "E" strings to fret correctly because of the "indentation".

Maybe it just takes time? Let's see what someone else has to say....

Even though I don't have that problem anymore I still need to file the fingertips down after playing for a long period of time.

Bob Jessie

ReplyQuote
(@steph)
Eminent Member

Well, to kenrogers, for me this lasted about 6 months while playing about an hour or 1.5 hour a day. I only had problems with it the first 3-4 if I recall correctly, but it's very dependant on your technique I presume.
I wouldn't go around filing or sanding away your fingertips if the skin is intact though.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

as your callouses grow thicker and thicker those pesky dents will diminish.
I do get a sore tender spot every now and then.
but that goes away too.
love your callouses.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

After awhile the callouses will start to peel away and you have to kind of trim them but if you file them like mentioned earlier you should be OK

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@dave-t)
Reputable Member

I'm about three years into playing acoustic about an hour a day. I still get them but to a lesser degree, probably through callus development and lighter fingerings. Actually I played 7 hours ago for 1/2 an hour and they are visible. But they don't affect my playing unless I play several hours straight.

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

I had no idea this was such a "pressing" problem :wink:

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

That's just groovy!

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@viper)
Eminent Member

After my first 3 months or so I used to get the grooves a lot. Now though, the only thing weird with my fingers is that after I play a long time they turn black because of the strings. And that I can put them on a hot stoe and not feel it for 5 seconds, lift my hand, and actually burn parts of my body with my fingertips.

Ibanez RG3EXFM1

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

That's just groovy!

#4491....

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2