Notifications
Clear all

Question for the beginners...

44 Posts
41 Users
0 Likes
(@henrik)
Trusted Member

The first thing that springs to my mind is my friend, who is great at guitar and he kind of inspired me I suppose. I liked the sound and therefor I started.

ReplyQuote
(@troush)

We got my daughter a kids guitar for Christmas, and then my husband suggested I teach her guitar. Funny part is, I've never played guitar. So, for our homeschool "music program" we're learning how to play guitar. But, now I want to be able to play with the band at church, so I have other motivations besides just teaching my daughter.

-Trish

ReplyQuote
(@slodogg)
Estimable Member

mainly the guitarists Randy Rhodes, Joe Satriani, Eric Johnson, Steve Vai, Richie Blackmore, Toni Iomi... need i go on? LOL

Just hearing them has made me want to learn to play, all my life.. just sorry its taken so long for me to get started. 44yrs old now !

SLODOGG62

ReplyQuote
(@hooch)

Always loved music, but never had to confidence to serious try playing. Married someone who was a good guitarist and loved having the music in the house. Split up, and found myself missing the music more than him :twisted:

So, (eventually) found a guitar teacher and haven't looked back. That was 18 months ago. I'm not the fastest student in the world, but I love it, and can't express how happy it makes me to know that I'm learning something I never thought I'd be able to do.

ReplyQuote
(@stellabloo)
Estimable Member

... well I just finally snapped one morning and bought a cheap guitar on ebay ( :shock: horrors ) ... mostly it was waking up with the realization that I had spent $160 I couldn't really afford on obligatory yet tasteful gifts for various in-laws - gifts liable to be reciprocated by ugly sweaters - and the further realization that my life's income had largely been wasted on diapers, kiddie crap and groceries :cry: ... OK I do have a little musical background so it wasn't that big a stretch :oops: .....well anyway even if my cheap guitar falls apart I still have my calluses and everything in my head, that guitar was the greatest thing that happened to me last year. Plus my joke is that now I can go to the beach with the babies in tow and busk my way to a better guitar 8) Music has always been a great love - since I was 12 - and when my kids grow up and move away and when my knees finally give out, then here's hoping that my fingers will still be able to play ...

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's really all about?

~ why yes, I am available on youtube ~
http://www.youtube.com/stellabloo

ReplyQuote
(@stan-ton)
Trusted Member

Eric Clapton, The Who,Paul Weller.......3 reasons for me to start playing at 46....
Now 49 and I still think I'm crap but for some reason I can't stop playing everyday....must put that down to enjoyment..!

ReplyQuote
(@elementalfire)

I've always been a huge blues fan, from Johnson to Vaughn and everyone in between. The sounds of Floyd, Hendrix, The Stones and many many more are what I hear when there is no sound. I played drums in high school and dj'd (like club dj, not radio dj) after college. I've also dabbled with the piano. Always had a interest in being more than just a music fan, but never had the motivation.

Last Oct. my father beat lung cancer. Since he beat it I decided to quit smoking now. My doctor told me to get a hobby that would occupy my hands and my mind. Order an Oscar Schmidt (Washburn) OE30 and a pile of books in February. Been at it for about a month and lovin every minute of it. Can't wait until I actually feel like I know what I'm doing :lol:!

Oh yeah this is day two, smoke free.

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

Eddie Van Halen. Van Halen I was the first album I ever bought and the guitar has fascinated me ever since. It just took me 20-something years to get around to actually learning. People have always said I look like Eddie (well, back when I was a skinny teenager), unfortunately I sound nothing like him.

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
(@diceman)
Reputable Member

The Guess Who . The beginning of American Woman . I played some awesome air guitar to that song ! Oh , and Bus Rider . That's some good rock and roll !

If I claim to be a wise man , it surely means that I don't know .

ReplyQuote
(@nexion)
Honorable Member

Endless desire to create mixed with a deep passion for music.

"That’s what takes place when a song is written: You see something that isn’t there. Then you use your instrument to find it."
- John Frusciante

ReplyQuote
(@clazon)
Honorable Member

For me it was utter dusgust for the majority of music being churned out of late and a desire to get more involved and try to better it. That and a few idols. :)

"Today is what it means to be young..."

(Radiohead, RHCP, Jimi Hendrix - the big 3)

ReplyQuote
 jimh
(@jimh)
Estimable Member

I've always been a huge blues fan, from Johnson to Vaughn and everyone in between. The sounds of Floyd, Hendrix, The Stones and many many more are what I hear when there is no sound. I played drums in high school and dj'd (like club dj, not radio dj) after college. I've also dabbled with the piano. Always had a interest in being more than just a music fan, but never had the motivation.

Last Oct. my father beat lung cancer. Since he beat it I decided to quit smoking now. My doctor told me to get a hobby that would occupy my hands and my mind. Order an Oscar Schmidt (Washburn) OE30 and a pile of books in February. Been at it for about a month and lovin every minute of it. Can't wait until I actually feel like I know what I'm doing :lol:!

Oh yeah this is day two, smoke free.

Take it from someone who had angioplasty in february, give up the smoking and keep playing the guitar.

Music is the universal language.

ReplyQuote
(@daniel-lioneye)
Reputable Member

Well when i was younger i was always playing air guitar and even making straps for tennis rackets and playing them with quarters :lol: . I think it was for my twelfth birthday, my grandma accidentaly gave me a check for $160 instead of just $60. So i used it to buy a starter kit(guitar, amp, strap, picks etc.) I messed around on it not really learning anything. I think i suffered from the typical child attitude, if i can't do it right a way i never will. So, i stopped playing it for a few years, but i picked it back up about 2 years ago and have been playing ever since. I really wish i had actually taken it seriously when i was twelve, i would be so much better, but oh well, thats life. :wink:

Guitars: Electric: Jackson DX10D, J. Reynolds Fat Strat copy
Acoustic: New York and a Jasmine.
Amps: Austin 15 watt, Fender Deluxe 112, Fender Champion 600 5w, 0ld 1970's Sears 500g.
Effects: Digitech Whammy, Big Muff Pi USA, MXR, Washburn Distortion.

ReplyQuote
(@bruce-spencer)

I was at the church picnic and some folks were playing guitar, but not the songs I wanted to hear. Only way to fix that is learn to play myself, and then play what I want. Oh, and a major desire to play Beatles and Jimmy Buffett songs didn't hurt either.

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3