Question on strap etiquette.

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@matthew)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hello,

Some of you may remember my question about strap types on the discussion board, well I baught one. The leather Levy strap I mentioned in that post.

Anyway, my question is...

I'm a fairly short guy, so I leave the strap about as short as it will go. Because of that, I've got his extra "tail" hanging off the guitar. The strap has extra length so I could tie an end to the neck if I was missing a button which makes it worse.

I've looked at so many pictures on the net of people with straps and I've can't find one with a tail even if they have the same style strap, so I'm wondering where they hide it? Or do they... remove it?

Thanks,

"Now people put you down for the way that you lived
But those people never knew you the way that I did
Don't be ashamed of who you were of how you died
I know you just wanted to find the brighter side..." - OPM

- Matthew

(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

I'm having trouble imagining this. There's only one button hole at each end. Where does the tail come from?

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I think that he's talking about the "shoelace" that comes with a lot of straps so that you can tie one end to the headstock. If so, just take it off.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Some of the Levy straps do have 2 holes in the adjuster end. If you have it all the way up and you are using the second hole you could actually cut the rest of the adjuster strap off. Only, make sure you can still adjust it back out some in case you find later you need to lower the guitar.

And of course you can take the shoelace off as Greybeard said.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

On Levi straps, I take the adjustable piece, align its slot with the end (the lowest, not the highest) slot on the main strap, run the adjustable tongue up the main strap to a higher slot, loop it through a main strap slot, bring the tongue back down along the main strap to the main strap end slot where finally, I loop it through both the main strap's end slot and the slot in the end of the adjustable part to lock everything in place. If you do this correctly, it will shorten the strap significantly more the starting from the highest slot on the main strap.

That's a pretty convoluted description. Hope it helps.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@matthew)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Ahh, gnease!

That should work perfectly!

Thanks for the suggestions. Didn't want to look like too big of a noob. :D

"Now people put you down for the way that you lived
But those people never knew you the way that I did
Don't be ashamed of who you were of how you died
I know you just wanted to find the brighter side..." - OPM

- Matthew

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Glad to help. You may want to weave the tongue in and out of a set of slots on the way back down to the final end slot. This will further lock everything into place. If you actually could follow my last description, this should make sense.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote