Clear all

Question: Tied Note

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@jcjxxl)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Would someone mind explaining tied notes? I came across a tied note while looking at some tab. How is a tied note played?

Below is a link to a piece of the tab I was looking at. I put red boxes around the tied notes so whoever is looking at it will be able to tell what I am talking about.

Thanks in advance for the help!

(@davidhodge)

First things first. The red boxes you marked aren't tied notes. They're grace notes. Explanation in a moment...

There are tied notes in this example. They are the eighth-note chords at the ends of measures six, seven and eight. Notice how they are tied by the bottom note (E), to the quarter note chords that start the following measures. You play the eighth note chord and let it last for the duration of both the eighth note and the quarter note. The big clue to these being tied notes is that they are the same notes on both sides of the tie.

A tie between different notes is called a slur. There are all different kinds of slurs. The idea is that you plick the first note with your picking hand and then your fretting hand sounds the rest of the notes.

Grace notes are very fast slurs. Think of them as "oops" notes, meaning that you've hit a note and immediately change it to the one you want. Generally, slurs employ one of four techniques - hammer-ons (which you have here in this example), pull-offs, bends and slides. To play these, you hit play the string with your finger on the fifth fret of the low E and then immediately hammer another finger onto the seventh fret of the same string.

Hope this helps.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@jcjxxl)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Holy crap, that actually makes sense! :)

Maybe there is hope for me after all. Thank you so much for the explanation. The only reason I thought they were tied notes is because the HELP file in Guitar Pro called it a tied note.

Great explanation. Thanks again!

ReplyQuote
(@ak_guitar)
Trusted Member

For more on the subject, see David's excellent article here:

https://www.guitarnoise.com/lessons/tricks-of-the-trade/

Thanks David!

Praise the LORD with the harp; make music to him on the ten-stringed lyre. Sing to him a new song; play skillfully, and shout for joy. For the word of the LORD is right and true; he is faithful in all he does. Psalm 33:2-4

ReplyQuote
(@jcjxxl)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Reading article now. Thanks for the help guys!

ReplyQuote