20 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@meebit)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I just wanted to say Hi and Wassup?!

And ask a couple questions...
Okay so I'm a beginner; so much so that I have'nt even bought my first guitar yet ;) but I'm really excited about the adventure I'm about to embark on...

Okay, question 1. For my first guitar I'm thinking about the Epiphone Les Paul series & wanted to know what y'all think of those in general and especially for beginners (I'm going electric to avoid inflicting my lack of skill on my housemates, especially because I'm the only one in the house that works nights ;) )

Question 2. Am I correct in assuming that any decent Guitar port for PC will come with a tuner thingy?

Thank in advance.

P.S. I use this name everywhere on the web, so if anyone remembers me from elswhere please soundout!

MeeBit

(@cyranodb)
Estimable Member

Well, I don't know much about computer ports for guitars because the only thing I ever plugged in to was an amp. Epiphones are not bad guitars and I might be looking to get one myself soon. I know you said that you haven't bought a guitar yet, but have you looked at any?? I know you have your heart set on an epiphone but you might just want to go to your local guitar store and try a few on for size. Gibson's and epiphones (Epiphone is Gibsons more affordable line), in my opinion tend to be a bit heavier than I like. It's not good or bad, it's just a preference. Might want to try on a few guitars for feel and plug them in to see how they sound. Any reputable guitar store shouldn't mind you trying on and plugging in a couple of guitars to see how they feel and sound; especially when you're considering plunking down between $300 to $800 for a new guitar. Then you might want to shop around if you have that option...see if you can find a better deal on the guitar you like anywhere.

Good luck man. It's a great adventure to be one.

"I use heavy strings, tune low, play hard and floor it. Floor it, that's a technical term." - SRV

ReplyQuote
(@meebit)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the reply...

No, I have'nt looked at any besides my work-friend's Epiphone Les Paul, which sounds cool, but he says he's changed all the electronics, so I dunno how a stock Epi sounds, so...

Yes I fully intend to "play" it before buying... What I did'nt really say was I was wondering about the quality/durability angle, I don't wanna buy something that will fall apart in 6 months, y'know?

MeeBit

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

meebit,

i have an epi lp, they are great guitars without any mods, i changed out the pickups
on mine because i wanted more than what the stock pups gave me, as a beginner, you would have no need to do this, also, you might want to check out the squier strats, they are fenders more affordable line and are not as expensive as the epi's, and they are great guitars, especially for beginners. ohh yaa welcome to gn 8)

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote
(@pvtele)
Reputable Member

In answer to your durability question - both Epi's and Squiers are "proper" guitars, and will last a lifetime if looked after ... some might say they only improve with age. Maybe the switches and pots aren't quite as durable as top line Gibsons and Fenders, but you'd need to play them a long long time to find out ;-) (In any case, switches and pots are cheap and easy to replace.)

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

If you're in the market for an Epi LP, why not take a look at the Fender Tele? It's slightly more basic, but a lot of very big players use them and I wouldn't mind one myself.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I love telecasters too.

Good Luck ! and welcome to GN

Rahul

ReplyQuote
(@meebit)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

If you're in the market for an Epi LP, why not take a look at the Fender Tele? It's slightly more basic, but a lot of very big players use them and I wouldn't mind one myself.

Best,

A :-)
Thanks for all the replies, guys.

I will look at the Fender Tele...
I partly just wanted an idea of what the good ones are, as I have found with other things that when going to any kind of shop with sales people in it it's easyer to keep them at bay if you atleast have SOME idea of what to look for.

MeeBit

ReplyQuote
(@pvtele)
Reputable Member

Don't forget the humble Squier Tele while you're looking - I love mine, and it gets more playing time (much more actually) than my '78 Strat! Ridiculously good value - I paid (well my wife did - Christmas present 3 years ago 8) )under £250, including tweed gig bag. They are pretty variable though (I guess it depends on which bit of wood exactly, and which day they were built, and who knows what imponderables) so play several before deciding if you like 'em :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@meebit)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thought those of you who replied before might want an update, so here goes...

So, I went out today, thursday (well yesterday by the clock eventhough it's still today to me on account of I'm a night worker), and bought a guitar.

I ended up with an Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus.
I played everything in the store, Strats, all the LPs, a couple B.C. Ritch's (or Rich?), a selection from a couple less-well-known cos. (who's names escape me at the moment) and finally went back to the LP.

And to answer my own Q about guiter ports. It turns out there's really only one guiter port (two main models with an optional add-on) and yes, it does have a tuner.

MeeBit

ReplyQuote
(@pvtele)
Reputable Member

Excellent choice, MeeBit 8) IMHO the Standard Plus and Standard Plain-Top are the pick of the bunch. Enjoy!

ReplyQuote
 lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

Congrats on fine guitar! I play an Epi LP myself

See you around then

Lars

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

So, I went out today, thursday (well yesterday by the clock eventhough it's still today to me on account of I'm a night worker), and bought a guitar.

Excellent. Congrats on becoming a geetar player.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@meebit)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the replies... She's blue an reeal purdy. I brought her home and set her on her stand and just gazed at her for like 15 minutes... Lol

Anyway, dumb question here, on the fret numbering, the "0" fret is the one closest to the head, yes?

MeeBit

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Anyway, dumb question here, on the fret numbering, the "0" fret is the one closest to the head, yes?

Close. 0 is the string played without fingering it at all.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2