Notifications
Clear all

Questions about plat picking

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@tartarus)
Topic starter  

Hi everyone! I use a pick all the time and I have a couple questions.
First is about the noise when the pick is rubbing the strings. When strumming chords that sound can bring some special feelings and I think it's quite nice. But when picking single notes the noise is disturbing. Maybe not a problem hearing from a distance but gets bad when I try to record. I wonder if it's my way of picking causing the problem.
Second, when I pick a chord, using a pick, the last note I pick in that chord some times gives me trouble. Say I pick an F chord, and the last note is D string third fret, if I pick that note and release my fingers to go to the next chord, then there would be a noise, just like a bad pull off from releasing finger. This gets worse on the top two strings...
Don't know if I made the questions clear, but thanks for any answers!

(@alangreen)

First question - Experiment with your pick angle - when I use a pick it's held parallel to the direction of the strings and I try to pick at 90 degrees to the direction of the string parallel to the soundboard.

Second question - move the fingers off the string vertically, that should help reduce the noise.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@tartarus)
Topic starter  

Thanks. But still I found if I release the string while it's vibrating, it always makes the noise...

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

I hold it like a 45 degree angle & kinda of "slice" the strings......for what it's worth.....

ReplyQuote