Clear all

Questions about songs and chords...

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@audioboy)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

So I was looking at a song from the group The Strokes and the tabs had this...

|------------------|------------------|------------------|------------------|
|-5-5-5-7---7-7-7--|-4-4-4-5---5-5-5--|-5-5-5-7---7-7-7--|-4-4-4-5---5-5-5--|
|-6-6-6-6---6-6-6--|-4-4-4-4---4-4-4--|-6-6-6-6---6-6-6--|-4-4-4-4---4-4-4--|
|-6-6-6-7---7-7-7--|-6-6-6-6---6-6-6--|-6-6-6-7---7-7-7--|-6-6-6-6---6-6-6--|

So, I was wondering, are all songs composed of chords? or can you make up some? If that doesn't make sense someone tell me.

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Not all songs are composed of just chords, but most pop/rock/blues tunes can be played using only chords.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Well, yes... and no.

All songs are not made up of only chords, but you can experiment and create chords, runs, or progressions to create your own songs. Break the mold! 8)

As far as the song in question that you posted, I believe those are chords if that's the question you had. The 1st one, (the 5-6-6 pattern), looks like a minor chord, and the 2nd, (the 7-6-7 pattern), looks like a minor 7th chord. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong please. :wink: ) There are numerous ways to play a chord to get different chord voicings, or to make them easier to play, (only playing part of the notes in a chord rather that all of them). Here is a site you can check out that will give you different options of how to play chords up and down the neck:
http://www.looknohands.com/chordhouse/guitar/index_rb.html
It starts out in "C" Major. There are 2 drop down menus on the left. You can thus change the chord, (C, C#, D, etc.), and the type, (Major, 5th, Minor, etc.).

Hope that helps,
Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

All songs are not made up of only chords

Not true - some style of music don't use chords at all. Some melodies are monophonic (meaning they have only a melody). Gregorian chants, and traditional Celtic music are examples of monophonic music.

Other pieces of music are written in two-voice counterpoint - they have two melody lines, so at times there are single notes and at times there are intervals, but there are never chords. Bach's Inventions are a good example of this style.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Sorry if I was unclear Noteboat, but that is what I meant. Not all songs use chords, or chords only.

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@vadim)

Hi,everybody!

I got an ABC song,8+8+8,in D major. Note hight ranges: A(verse)-6 notes,B-5 notes,C(chorus)-5 notes.
Someone told me that it's a problem that my song with 6 notes(as vertical range b/w lowest and highest points of verse) in a *verse* has only 5 notes(vertical range b/w lowest and highest points of chorus) in a *chorus*.
It appears to him that it's a problem that my chorus is only 5 notes in hight,when verse is 6 notes in hight.Could you,please tell me your opinion? Should I redo my songs production so an extra note can be added to chorus?

thank u.

ReplyQuote
(@michhill8)
Honorable Member

Most songs on the radio, or classic rock songs are composed of chords, and you can transcribe all songs like this to guitar, its pretty cool actually... Currently I'm liking Fleetwood Mac and their songs tend to be more keyboard heavy and I'm trying to transcribe them to guitar... trying....

Thanks Dudes!
Keep on Rockin'

Pat

ReplyQuote