Clear all

Re-Stringing a Fender Strat

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@medarrah)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Somethings wrong here. When I play this one string, it sounds like crap ... I dont know if I did it incorrectly, or its the strings (which I doubt.) I just Stringed it, and tuned it, and it sounds really bad... :x It makes this really weird noise. Kinda hard to describe, but since you play (or so im guessing) you probably know what it sounds like. Sounds like something is vibrating in a high-tone. When I play Chords, it sounds terrible.
Can I please get some help from you, or do you know any good websites that I can go to to learn?
I dont want to have to take my guitar to a guy. That would definitely be my last choice.

Thanks
If you read it earlier where i said i got it... i dont got it... it still sounds bad.

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Not hearing this horrible noise it is difficult to say. If it is a small buzzing type of harmonic it could be the nut slot is too wide or worn. If you went to a lighter gauge of strings this can happen. It is a very annoying sound. :x

Don't know if that is the case, but that is my guess from your post. If this is the case, go back to the higher gauge string.

If the nut slot is just too worn (or somebody tampered with it), you may have to replace the nut. Another little trick that works well is to pick the string up from the nut and slide a thin piece of paper under the string. Release the string and it will pull the paper down into the nut slot. Then tear away the excess paper. It might even take two or more pieces of paper to work. If done well the string will sound good again and nobody will notice the paper.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@quarterfront)
Reputable Member

Some questions that might help zero in on the problem:

1) Did you stretch the string after you put it on?

2) Have you checked to be sure you didn't miss putting the string under a string tree?

3) Is the ball end of the string seated properly in the block?

4) Is the string seated properly on its saddle?

5) Is the saddle seated firmly against the bridge?

6) Can you get it to go away by muting, for example, the bits of string between the tuners and the nut?

FYI, I have a problem I often run into when I restring my Strat, where the 3rd string buzzes and doesn't sound right. I've never ascertained why it's that string - maybe a quirk of my setup or something - but I find that I need to make sure that the saddle is sitting right, that the string is stretched and then play it for a few minutes before it gets to sounding right.

ReplyQuote
(@medarrah)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

:O I got it!!!

thank you SO much.
and it was the 2nd string. Odd.

ReplyQuote
(@quarterfront)
Reputable Member

Cool! What did it turn out to be?

ReplyQuote
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

Well, I'm not sure if you got it or not yet...?

And I'm not sure about the sound you're trying to describe....
If you are new to guitars, some beginners re-stringing mistakes while using an electronic tuner are
that you may have 'overtuned' the string.
That is to say that you went past the real point that it's was in tune until you got to the NEXT time it reached that tone.

You might try de-tuning that string and seeing if the tension matches the rest of the strings when you get 'down' to the
correct tone.

Hope that makes sense.

Quarterfront - I think the 3-4 string thing is inherent on all strats :lol:

Ken

"The man who has begun to live more seriously within
begins to live more simply without"
-Ernest Hemingway

"A genuine individual is an outright nuisance in a factory"
-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
(@medarrah)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I got some good, plain english, advice from Wes. I just had to fix the Sadle. And it worked!
Thanks for all the help guys. Dont worry, I'll be back. :D

ReplyQuote