Clear all

Reading Chord Markings?

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@frenchie43971)
Topic starter  

Hi Everybody,

I have been looking for an answer to this for a few days now with regards to reading chord markings. I do not even know if "chord markings" is the correct term or not, but here is an example of what I am talking about:

(four beats per chord marking)

C F G C
How many roads must a man walk down

Does this mean I play the "C" four times then the "F" etc,? And is that how I know when to switch between chords by what lyric I'm on?

I'm pretty new to playing guitar (about 2 weeks) but I have not seen too much in explanation on how to read songs written like this. Thanks in advance!

Kris

(@alangreen)

This is the song "Blowing in the wind" isn't it?

The formatting of the lyrics and chord symbols is working against you at the moment; normally the chord changes are printed above the lyrics where they happen.

Look up the original song on Youtube - count beats, clap along with the pulse, listen to the music (not the lyrics) and try to hear when things change.

I just played that line here, two evenly-spaced strums of each chord works nicely.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@frenchie43971)
Topic starter  

Thanks Alan;

The format definitely changed once I hit the submit button. I was refering to Blowing in the Wind listed in The Pattern Trap lesson as an example of what I was trying to say and how to read/play the song when it is written that way.

Kris

ReplyQuote