reading chords

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 Glee
(@glee)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

is there a websight or anything that will show me how to read chords. or do i have to figure it out fo my self?
notes stacked on top of each other are chords like low C,E,high c is a c chord right. if so is there some place i can see chords and what they would look like on the music staff?

Tim

(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

Don't forget when figuring out the notes of a chord from a chord diagram, to include the open strings. A C major chord consists of the notes C E & G. The C chord diagram that (I assume) you're describing has C on string 5, E on string 4 G on string 3 (open), another C on string 2 and another E on string 1 (open).
I don't know of any website that shows common chord shapes in standard notation, but it's quite easy to figure it out. That 5th string 3rd fret C in standard notation (for guitar) is shown as middle C on the treble staff. The other notes fall into their proper places on the staff above that note.

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Try some of the lessons on this website for reading standard notation. That will help.

Good Luck.

ReplyQuote
 Glee
(@glee)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Don't forget when figuring out the notes of a chord from a chord diagram, to include the open strings. A C major chord consists of the notes C E & G. The C chord diagram that (I assume) you're describing has C on string 5, E on string 4 G on string 3 (open), another C on string 2 and another E on string 1 (open).
I don't know of any website that shows common chord shapes in standard notation, but it's quite easy to figure it out. That 5th string 3rd fret C in standard notation (for guitar) is shown as middle C on the treble staff. The other notes fall into their proper places on the staff above that note.
thanks for the reply.
yes C major was the chord i was discribing.
this is going to be harder than i thought.

Tim

ReplyQuote
 Glee
(@glee)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Try some of the lessons on this website for reading standard notation. That will help.

Good Luck.
thanks for the reply.
that did help

Tim

ReplyQuote