4 Users
0 Likes
 mmdm
(@mmdm)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I'm trying to work through one of the lessons here

https://www.guitarnoise.com/lessons/wish-you-were-here-intro-solo/

and am confused about how the double pull-offs are represented in the tab. If you scroll down to Phase I, there is a double po at the end of the first measure. It is represented by 3-2-0 on the G string, and if I was just reading that, I would think it meant to po on the third and then the second fret, but David says to pull off on the Fourth and then the second. Or I could see that maybe it is written indicating the note that will sound, and not really the one that is fretted, but in that case, wouldn't a po of the 4th fret with the 2nd fret fretted result in the note at the second fret? I can't figure out where the 3 comes in. Could someone please explain (or point me toward a good source for) how to read pull-offs in tab so I won't get it wrong in other songs?

(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member

It is a spelling mistake, either the tab or the text is wrong, try both 4th fret and 3rd fret to start and see which sounds better.

ReplyQuote
 mmdm
(@mmdm)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

It is a spelling mistake, either the tab or the text is wrong, try both 4th fret and 3rd fret to start and see which sounds better.

Really? I thought I just didn't understand how it works! Which would have meant I was probably doing it wrong in everything before. So the tab numbers really should indicate which fret you are putting your finger on when you do the pull-off, even for double pull-offs? I hope so, because that would be so much easier to understand!

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

The way it's written, it indicates that you play the note at the third fret, then pull off sounding the note at the second fret WITHOUT striking the string, then pull off again, this time sounding the open string, but again without striking it with your picking hand. In other words, the fingers you're pulling off with are sounding the notes - you only actually pluck the string once, when you're playing the third fret.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
 mmdm
(@mmdm)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

The way it's written, it indicates that you play the note at the third fret, then pull off sounding the note at the second fret WITHOUT striking the string, then pull off again, this time sounding the open string, but again without striking it with your picking hand. In other words, the fingers you're pulling off with are sounding the notes - you only actually pluck the string once, when you're playing the third fret.

:D :D :D

Vic

Yes, I know that part about plucking the string once and pulling off twice. But the written instructions say to place your ring finger on the fourth fret and pull off, and that was confusing me because the tab has a 3 written on it. I couldn't figure out why you fret the fourth but write it in tab as 3. I think Jim is right (or at least hope he is) and it is just a typo. You say the way it is written you should pull off from the 3rd fret, so that makes sense to me. I tried both and actually think the 4th is the correct fret so the 3 must just be a mistake. Um, right?

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Well, the notation says B, no idea why it's a Bb in the tab. It's the same note as to which you slide in the start of the measure, which is then correctly written as '4'. Just pretend it reads '4' instead.

ReplyQuote
 mmdm
(@mmdm)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Well, the notation says B, no idea why it's a Bb in the tab. It's the same note as to which you slide in the start of the measure, which is then correctly written as '4'. Just pretend it reads '4' instead.

OK, great. Thanks everyone!

ReplyQuote