recommend good book on acoustic soloing

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 pab
(@pab)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

hi - can anyone recommend a good book or two on acoustic soloing? specifically, for now, i am concentrating on using the pentatonic scales and i would like a book that takes these scales and shows what can be done with them. i realize that a lot of people have success with fretboard logic, but if a different book could be recommended, that would be appreciated. Thanks!

pab

(@rmorash)
Estimable Member

Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but I recently picked up

Guitar Soloing: The Contemporary Guide to Improvisation
Daniel Gilbert and Beth Marlis
Hal Leonard ISBN 0-7935-8186-9

I have the Fretboard Logic book and I like this one (Guitar Soloing) because it reinforces the concepts. You might want to check out Blues You Can Use (John Ganapes?) which comes highly recommended by several forum users here. I think he has a website as well.

ReplyQuote
 pab
(@pab)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

thanks for the tip. i'll look into it.

i have the blues you can use book too, and am working on the scales quite a bit (along with being taught them by my instructor). i was just hoping to have more of an idea or what to do with them as i'm going through them. i guess you have to walk before you can run. i keep thinking back to the karate kid ("wax on/wax off") part where daniel feels that he isn't learning karate by doing all these menial things. i do know that it is helping (and has helped) going through the scales of BYCU, but was also hoping for more info along the way. i'll also take a look at the book you suggested.

i just found that the fretboard logic book skipped what i would consider important information (and my teacher considers important as well). i posted this earlier on a different post so no need to go into details here. however, the bycu book is fabulous.

pab

ReplyQuote