Notifications
Clear all

Recording and playing on a PC

19 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@guitar-newbee)
Topic starter  

I've just hooked up my Guitar up to my PC. My guitar playing is average so I can see (listen) where i am going wrong.
As per advice from a previous post, i am using Audacity to record the line in.
I would like some advice on how to play a song (mp3 for example) and record both it and my guitar over the top. I'm financially challenged so a not so expensive solution is preferred.

(@conuvial)
Trusted Member

What are using to connect to your pc? I'm interested in doing the same thing and wasn't sure where to start.

"...it's in him, and it got to come out..." - JLH

ReplyQuote
(@kblake)
Reputable Member

Newbee,
Open Audacity go to "edit/Audio I/O" and put a tick in the box "Play other tracks while recording a new one"
Keith

I know a little bit about a lot of things, but not a lot about anything...
Looking for people to jam with in Sydney Oz.......

ReplyQuote
(@guitar-newbee)
Topic starter  

I've got a standard 3.5 mm plug to 3.5mm plug stereo cable and put a 6.5 mm stereo to Mono conversion plug on the end (both form Dick Smith Electronics). The end result a 6.5 mm mono plug to 3.5 mm stereo plug. ( i bough i tlike this so i can use the cable for other things as well).

Plugged in to the PC's line in it works a treat. Records well with Audacity.

ReplyQuote
(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member

I like the look of this thing
http://www.soundware.co.uk/sc/products/IK%20Multimedia%20StealthPlug

There are lots of ways to put your axe through your PC, the Line6 Ports are supposed to be good too, I have read.

http://line6.com/products/computerbased/

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Newbee,
Open Audacity go to "edit/Audio I/O" and put a tick in the box "Play other tracks while recording a new one"
Keith
^That, but just incase you aren't there yet:

Find the .mp3 file on your computer, and drag it into the audacity window. It'll get imported easily that way. Or, I think theres an "import" menu, go to that, select import (mp3, or whatever) and find the file that way.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@welshman)
Estimable Member

Now I am confused. Newbee's method sounds cheap and from what he says it's effective too. Whereas the stealth kit will hit me for £70 and the only real payoff I can see is that I'll get a headphone socket. Am I missing something?

D

What did the guitarist do when he was told to turn on his amp?
He caressed it softly and told it that he loved it.

ReplyQuote
(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member

Well the Stealth plug comes with a lot of software too. Whether they are better than Audacity I couldn't say.

ReplyQuote
(@conuvial)
Trusted Member

I've got a standard 3.5 mm plug to 3.5mm plug stereo cable and put a 6.5 mm stereo to Mono conversion plug on the end (both form Richard Smith Electronics). The end result a 6.5 mm mono plug to 3.5 mm stereo plug. ( i bough i tlike this so i can use the cable for other things as well).

Plugged in to the PC's line in it works a treat. Records well with Audacity.
Thanks - sometimes I get too wrapped up in what's "current technology" and forget to look at the simplest way to do something.

I've been looking at things like special (and somewhat expensive) "1/4" guitar jack to USB setups" and totally ignoring the fact that I can plug my guitar cable into the "AUX IN" or "MIC IN" on my sound card using a 1/4" to mini plug adapter I have sitting in a drawer at home.

Can't wait till I get home tonight to try it.

ReplyQuote
(@maliciant)
Reputable Member

Plugging directly into line in (or possibly mic in) can work and probably is the cheapest route. The software that comes with hardware generally is trial software which audacity will be far more useful than the trial version of commercial software and I suspect better than the full version of a lot of commercial software.

The down side to plugging into line in, is it depends heavily on your computer's sound card or built in sound, it won't necessarily work for everyone, the recording volume may be too low or other issues. A mobile audio pre or one of the other dedicated recording devices is more likely to work and suffer from less quality issues, but they cost more.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

conuvial: don't forget the we're talking out two different things: with the plug you can hook your guitar to the pc. But if you use just the guitar instead of the amp's line-out it'll sound like absolute garbage. That is why many devices (like the Line6 stuff) are designed to 'simulate' amps, so you plug your guitar in the device, that goes into your pc and it sounds like you were playing through an amp. if you don't have an amp or good soundcard+ampsims going the cheap way will sound unpleasant.

ReplyQuote
(@drpool)
Eminent Member

Newbee,
Keith

I've asked this question on many forums and never seen this answer, I'll be trying this soon. Also, I just scored this for connecting via usb. So far, it's proven to be pretty helpful and the price is certainly right. It also has a load of plugins that allow the user to shape most any tone they are looking for. I wouldn't call it 'high-end' but certainly a workable option for 1st time home recorders like myself.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/MAudio-JamLab-Personal-Guitar-System?sku=241104

ReplyQuote
(@conuvial)
Trusted Member

conuvial: don't forget the we're talking out two different things: with the plug you can hook your guitar to the pc. But if you use just the guitar instead of the amp's line-out it'll sound like absolute garbage. That is why many devices (like the Line6 stuff) are designed to 'simulate' amps, so you plug your guitar in the device, that goes into your pc and it sounds like you were playing through an amp. if you don't have an amp or good soundcard+ampsims going the cheap way will sound unpleasant.

Thanks for for pointing that out Sleutelbos. I forgot to even consider my amp's part in the whole process. I've got an inexpensive practice amp, not sure if it has a line out. There's something else to check out tonight.....

ReplyQuote
(@tuckatangent)
Eminent Member

how would you hook up an acoustic to record on a pc? i'm looking for a cheap way too.

ReplyQuote
(@maliciant)
Reputable Member

how would you hook up an acoustic to record on a pc? i'm looking for a cheap way too.

Get a cheap microphone that plugs into the microphone port of the PC, that's about as cheap as it gets... otherwise get proper recording gear for accoustics which can range in price a great deal. (My mobile audio pre works for accoustic but you'll have to buy a microphone etc... musicians friend had a whole setup for $300 at one point, I bet they have something better or the same thing cheaper now).

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2