Clear all

Recording device?

9 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@badlefty)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I have been trying to learn to play for a few months now and would like to record myself for a reference to see how good/bad I sound. Is there a best cheap device I could buy to get a decent recording?

(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

A lot of people around here use Audacity - a free recording engine download from sourceforge.com which is quite user-friendly. All you'll need to go with it is a PC mic.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

You could also try a digital recorder. I picked one up at Radio Shack for a few bucks. It wasn't very expensive at all. It coomes in handy during those times when sitting on your couch, passing the time and you play something brilliant. Now, I've managed to capture many non-brilliant riffs but I'm still waiting for that one good one! 8)

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

You could also try a digital recorder. I picked one up at Radio Shack for a few bucks. It wasn't very expensive at all. It coomes in handy during those times when sitting on your couch, passing the time and you play something brilliant. Now, I've managed to capture many non-brilliant riffs but I'm still waiting for that one good one! 8)

Yep, you could try one of those - but in my book, "free" beats "cheap" EVERY TIME!

What have you got to lose? NOTHING at all - other people around here have mentioned other recording engines - Krystal is one I remember - but all you've got to do with Audacity is download it and buy a cheap PC mic. That'll get you started. I'm a firm believer in starting as cheap as you possibly can, THEN upgrading and spending money IF you're going to take it seriously. No point at all splashing out serious cash on serious equipment unless what you buy is going to be seriously used, IMO.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I use Audacity. Works great for me!

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Those free software things are only good if you've already got a mic or some way to plug your guitar into your PC, and those are not free. Also relies on your PC's sound engine to not be a big, whopping pile of poo. Realtek drivers have had some problems playing nice with XP, for example. I can't participate in any jams not only because of no skill, but also because I cannot get good signal interpretation via USB or Digital In from my GT-10. All's I can use is the USB mic, and that took driver updates and several XP updates before that was even decent.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@bfloyd6969)
Estimable Member

I'd say, if you can swing the cash, go for a Boss Micro-BR. It's pretty much a small portable studio at your finger tips. It has all the built in guitar sounds, and on-board mic, and a handy little drum machine so you can play along with some beats. I believe they sell for around $225ish. Nice little box that will fit in your guitar case.

Why do we have to get old...

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Other options:

Any old radio-cassette player with a condenser mic and a standard sized cassette tape will do, you've probably got one gathering dust in the garage.

A portable ditating machine - the modern ones are digital but I have one that used the answering machine mini-tapes

Can you record on your cellphone?

E-bay has loads of old Portastudio kit - might be able to pick up one cheap (don't forget the tapes), and you can get mics for small money there too.

The fundamental question is - how good has it got to sound right now? If you want to produce studio-quality recordings then start clocking overtime at the factory. If it only needs to be decent enough to be able to hear what you sound like then go the cheap route and upgrade later.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

...Yep, you could try one of those - but in my book, "free" beats "cheap" EVERY TIME!

Vic

You bet brother! I was just thinking about those times you are not in front of your PC. :)

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote