Clear all

Recording myself

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@thegrimm)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Sorry, I realise this isn't quite the right place to ask, but this is being asked as a beginner who can't figure out where the right place is, so... :D

I want to record my playing. I have no idea where to start. I see there are a ton of topics on sound, recording, live sound and more, but it's pretty overwhelming, and I know nothing. I seem to recall there were some songs played cooperatively on here a while back - where people took turns downloading a track and recording themselves playing over existing stuff...almost like an online band...but I can't seem to find it or the tutorials I remember came along with it.

So, yeah, if anyone can point in me in the direction of a "recording for dummies" post or two...that would be great. Thanks!

(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

What do you play? Electric? Accoustic? If accoustic, do you have a mic? In any case

1) Download either Audacity or Kristal (use google, both are free)
2a) If you play electric, put a cable between the line-out of your amp and the line-in of your soundcard
2b) If you play electric and your amp doesn't have it, directly connect your guitar to the line-in of your soundcard
2c) If you play accoustic, plug a mic in the mic-in of your soundcard
3) Open Kristal/Audacity, make sure you select either line-in or mic-in as recording device
4) Hit record

ReplyQuote
(@thegrimm)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks. That easy, huh?

I have both an acoustic, and electric / amp. The acoustic has a built in pickup and I don't have a mic. I'm gonna need to get me another cable. I tried running my acoustic straight into the soundcard, and it works, but it's really soft. I presume I can just as easily run my acoustic through the amp? Any danger of my amp blowing my soundcard if I turn it up too much, or something?

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Not really. Note that the difference between line-in and mic-in is that the mic-in signal gets further amplified inside, whereas the line-in expects the sound to already have been through a pre-amp. You can increase the volume of the line-in port in the Windows Volume Control tool (start->programs->accesories->entertainment) and you can always increase recordings in volume after you're finished recording.

Note that the lower the signal coming in the louder the noise and hum will relatively be. On the other hand having a signal that's too loud will cause very, very nasty clipping and distortion which is virtually impossible to fix afterwards. So have the signal as loud as you can without causing clipping, and remember that too soft is infinitely better then too loud!

ReplyQuote